• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

First thoughts, Q's

therealrsr

I did a hello post for some background if interested:

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?p=153776#post153776

Here are my thoughts and questions after mild tear down and a couple break-in runs:

Only real things I did on tear down were remove body panels, chassis plates, white silicone on the trany gears, check for loose bolts, put an outwear on the filter. I will do a complete tear down and install my killer bee before letting her rip.

-1st noticeable need to address, transmission mesh, silicone for now and reexamine after 4th item below.

-2nd, differential action. Pretty bad, sure it will improve with driving but I'm a silky smooth diff guy. If mine is tight, only because I put diff lock oil or silly putty in.

-3rd, shock springs. Action reminds me of the old pull out cot springs from the 70's. Progressive setup to be figured out. Rebuild them and start testing different wt. oils front and back.

-4th, the transmission plate. Either 7075's or RC's. Is the 7075 worth the $ difference?

-5th, the air filter will be swapped for HPI's because they are better material with better air filter oil, and I got em laying around.

-6th, fab up some brace to attach the side cage body mount holes to the chassis. (This was my only real "duh" moment with the car design)

-7th, fab some metal body panels and perhaps cage support. Might heat treat the cage parts going for added strength. (this will be a loaner often so sturdy rules over weight)

-8th, HPI adapters. Again mostly because I have 5b stocks, tarmacs and hostiles mounted already.

-9th, extra A arms, carriers, chubs, etc. heat treated for added strength. If only RPM...

-10th, remove the rear wing/mount and fab a wrap up rear skid plate for butt landings.

-11th, the support brace for the front bumper, actually that was the other "what?" with the car. Could work fine on a car half this weight, but come on...

-12th, throw in a HPI stock steering servo. The RC stock seemed fine but I have it laying around after 5b upgraded to Savox and has better #'s.

-13th, fast, high-torque savox servo for the gas/break. Just peace of mind.

-14th, find some axle boots

-15th, bike tire for shock socks.

-16th, Killer bee and rx for my DX3s (5b is on a DX4)

That should keep me busy for a few days.

RampageHopUps

Welcome, all those are easy to do and will make your Chimera more enjoyable. Have fun.

therealrsr

ika said:
I tried several boot with now success.Best boots, see my post:

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=14203
Ika, nice ingenuity!

Did you ever happen to try the HPI part 86479? Don't want to order for a test if you have been down that road. They are a 22mm diameter for the Baja b/t

I would link for the convenience but the site is not a supporter here. (Thanks RampageHopUps, awesome attitude) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMYX4&P=7

EDIT for wrong wrong HPI part and to link

Last edited by a moderator:

therealrsr

My Goodies ordered yesterday from LSRC and DGI...

Rear Lower Suspension Arm for XB / XT (L/R) 2 pcs (for boiling)

Front Lower Suspension Arm Rampage XB / XT (L/R) 2 pcs (for boiling)

Pro-Spec Racing - Comlete Bearing Kit for Rampage XB and XT (27 Piece)

Alum. Steering Mount (L/R) - Rampage XB / XT

Aluminum Servo Horn Set for Redcat Servos

RAMXTCBaja XT or XB to Baja or Losi 1/5 Scale Wheel Adapters

Center Diff.Mount(Al.) 2P (Gun Metal)

Front Upper Top Plate(Al.) (Gun Metal)

Rear Axle Mount(Al.) 2P (Gun Metal)

Diff. Mount Set, Aluminum (Gun Metal)

Steering Rocker (Al.) (Gun Metal)

Steering Mount(L/R)(Al.) (Gun Metal)

Decided to make the a-arms the break point so I went AL for the c's, hub's and carriers.

MTMIKE

Never heard the boiling trick before. Might have to try that. For how long?

RampageHopUps

The boiling actually stress relieves the plastic molding. We have been doing it for 14 years at least that I know of.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts