• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine's fine, truck doesn't move

stomp442

I just finished breaking-in my MT5. Which was a massive let-down as many parts broke; or came loose and fell off.

Tally so far:

Engine mounts + screws = loosened and fell off :mad:

Stock exhaust = loosens and box comes off :mad:

Servo screws @ horns = loosened and fell off :mad:

Bottom line: I should have gone through the entire truck and either tightened or Loctite'd the screws. I didn't. Bad on me. But I would expect that some of the screws would have some sorta Loctite on them. None to be seen.

Now that my rant about the quality is over.

I've completed the break-in. I've babied this thing; with proper mix ratio. Controlled the urge to hammer on it, and stayed below 1/4 throttle.

Finally finish break-in and take a long sweeper across my yard. And, at the end...engine has power, but the truck slowly coasted to a stop. Engine still running, but no forward momentum.

At present, I have not taken anything apart, and was wondering if any members might have had a similar experience, and can point me to the set-screw that has loosed and/or fallen off. :confused:

I've already checked the dog-bone drive shafts; neither are busted.

Turning the wheels (front or back) does cause the drive shafts to rotate all the way back to the gear-set on the side of the engine. I'm guessing that either the shaft from the motor to those gears broke; or that one of the set screws in there have come off.

Now back to my rant...the only place that seems to have any Loctite at all is the protective plate for the gears @ the side of the car. Any tips to get that off?

Ice_2k

If you feel that using force to open the screws holding the gear cover would strip the screw head, you can use heat to loosen the loctite. Touching the head of the screw with the head of a soldering iron and holding it for a few seconds should be ok. My Dunerunner came with loctite on some parts but not all. Seems to be pretty random.

scooby61

You probably loosened or lost the set screws behind the first gear in the gear box. It's the one on the left first gear attached to the clutch bell. Take that off and there is a drive square thing behind it with set screws in the side.

Sorry to hear about your trouble mine has had few issues but most parts were loctited. Once you work these bugs out you will love this truck.

stomp442

Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking of warming the engine, but never thought of a soldering iron. Thanks for that.

I'll post what I find.

stomp442

Sorry that it's taken this long to follow up, but I've had a lot of other chores assigned to me by my wife.

I've taken off the cover to the differential gear assembly. What I found was this, if I apply pressure to the Clutch Bell Bush (50029) and hold it in place, the gears freely rotate -- all of them. Call me crazy, but shouldn't the first gear (50116) be locked into place?

Or ... is my problem a damaged clutch bell? In which case, I'm concerned that my problem is deeper into the motor. Which would really suck.

Thoughts?

rcgasser

Take the gear off that is on the clutch bell and check the grub screws on the square.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts