• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine locked up

jwoods81

I have been waiting on some parts to run my Mt but I start the truck easily each day just to keep it from sitting. Today I cleaned the truck and went to pull it but the pull cord will not pull to crank the engine. It's almost as if the engine has locked up. Any ideas?

G

If its flooded it gets really hard to pull.

Not enough oil will lock it up also.

Could be a bad pull starter.

Pull the spark plug out. If you still can't spin the engine. There a good chance it's seized.

jwoods81

Pulled the plug and still cannot spin the crank.. I don't get it. Been using the same mixture and the tank is the same tank I've been using the last 4 days..

So I take it I need a new engine?

G

Are you at 25:1?

Having the carb set too lean will also seize it.

An air leak will also cause a lean condition leading to trouble.

jwoods81

Mixture is on point. I was adjusting the hi and low and carb but had everything running great so I thought. Is there anything I can do do get it spinning again?

jwoods81

So I can turn the crank if I use pliers but something doesn't seem right.... I'm lost.

G

Remove the gear off the clutch plate and the clutch bell should spin freely.

Did you remove the pull starter? It might be as simple as a bad pull start.

rcgasser

When you turned it with the pliers did you use the pliers on the fly wheel? check to make sure that your coil is not tight on your fly wheel also check your clutch make sure there is no drag or your clutch spring is broke

Chief409

rcgasser said:
When you turned it with the pliers did you use the pliers on the fly wheel? check to make sure that your coil is not tight on your fly wheel also check your clutch make sure there is no drag or your clutch spring is broke
Use a business card to check the clearance between the magneto pickup and the flywheel magnet. Place the card under the magneto pickup with the screws loose and rotate the flywheel until the magnet is under it. Then tighten the screws holding the pickup. The magnet will hold the pickup in place while you tighten the pickup mounting screws.

jwoods81

Chief409 said:
Use a business card to check the clearance between the magneto pickup and the flywheel magnet. Place the card under the magneto pickup with the screws loose and rotate the flywheel until the magnet is under it. Then tighten the screws holding the pickup. The magnet will hold the pickup in place while you tighten the pickup mounting screws.
Well Before I hopped on this morning I was tearing the whole thing apart and noticed that the fly was not spinning because of what you were saying but also because it seemed bent.... With a little TLC I was able to get her spinning again and she is turning over like a ..... Well you know... :) Thank you all for the input. Now if I could just return some of these wrong parts from rctoparts.com and get the right ones.... Not returning calls or emails... Not recommending them to anyone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts