• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine Idle issues

Mike4130

I'm having some issues with my trucks idle. It seems that it idles really high after I let go of the throttle after a big acceleration, enough to keep the truck moving on its own for 10+ feet, then it will drop down to normal idle. Even at a stand still the RPM's will vary from low to high,then back to normal. I somtimes will have to hold the brake to keep it in place. I've adjusted the low speed needle, but the RPM's are all over the place. I was planning on spraying carb cleaner on it today to clean off the vents/breathers, has anyone had any issues with that? Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

andyken

sounds like a air leak..? Check the carb/intake bolts.

Have you run it for a while before this started?

I like the 990 carb [wish it had a choke] but covering the carb to choke it works for me.

Mike4130

Yeah, an air leak is what I'm leaning towards. I've been running the truck for a week now, 4-5 tanks through it so far...I will check to make sure the carb is secure. Thanks. I thought Walbro makes a carb with a choke? What aluminum manifold should I look into tall or short ?

G

The Walbro 668 has a choke.

Either intake is fine. I've used both and could not tell performance of any performance differences.

G

Yeah, when the carb is transitioning from the low to high needle it has a slight lag.

Mike4130

Winner!

andyken said:
sounds like a air leak..? Check the carb/intake bolts.Have you run it for a while before this started?

I like the 990 carb [wish it had a choke] but covering the carb to choke it works for me.
The carb & manifold were loose. I haven't ran it yet but I'm pretty sure that this was causing the issue. Good call!

Thanks as always for all the help Andyken,RCDad & everyone else. I'd be scratching my head without great minds like yours.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts