• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine Head Gasket Issue

Dongskie

Good day friends,

I received and engine from a friend that had a little issue, he said that while running the DR suddenly the engine idle shoot up and wont go idle.

He switched off the engine to check for fuel quantity and had more than enough in it.

He started the engine again and still the same high idle condition to the point that the idle was causing the DR to move forward already, then he decided to quit it.

Eventually we found that the head gasket had been busted, we replaced the head gasket and tried to start the engine but it never continued to run, it would only run for a second and die, until we had blisters in our fingers.

I also noticed that the weight of the pullstart is not as heavy as it used to be,...

Does it mean the engine is in the "loose-compression" condition?

Btw it was an HPI 23cc engine transplanted to the DR.

thanks guys..

Last edited by a moderator:

RampageHopUps

It sounds like you may have lean sized the engine. You have to take off the head and check for scores or drag marks from the piston ring. Ot the piston ring may have stuck closed since there was no oil.

The fastest way to check is to put a few drops of oil down the spark plug. If the compression goes back up, you ran it too lean.

Dongskie

Thanks Rampagehopups!

When I replaced the gasket, I did not notice any drag marks in the cylinder wall, but what I noticed was a darkened black and blue portion of the cylinder wall at the bottom area, similar to a burned color of exhaust tips..

The piston looked normal, no scratches, the ring was I could say fine because I had a hard time putting it back into the cylinder.

Until today we still had a hard time starting it, it would fire up for a brief 1 or 2 sec and would die..

He's losing hope... lol

Dongskie

thanks for the tip Rampage hopups,

there was scratches in the cylinder on the top area close to TDC

He ended up getting a new HY 32cc engine that was available at the shop

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts