• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dunerunner pics with tons of upgrades.

delta_kilo

So this is my Dunerunner I have had for a couple months. It's been run hard and haven't broken anything even after several 10' high jumps and hard landings. I have a list of upgrades and parts I have added. The CPI pipe makes amazing power over stock and it's not crazy loud but it was designed for a MT and XB so I have had fitment issues. I rubbed up against my rear roll cage and melted part of it. I coated the area on the roll cage with JB weld to protect the roll cage from heat and it works. It doesn't look great but it keeps the pipe from melting through the roll cage. I also had to cut the wing on the ends for the pipe to fit without touching it. If I had to do it over again I'd probably still get this pipe as the power it makes is damn impressive.

Redcat Dunerunner Upgrades

• Walbro 990 Carb
  • Z-RC TALL Blue Insulator (1" height)
  • Snappy RC Ultimate Fuel Line Kit
  • HPI Air Filter
  • Team Chase Carb Diaphragm Filter
  • Outerwears Pull Start Cover and Air Filter Cover
  • 8,000 RPM High Performance Clutch
  • Hitec HS-805BB Steering Servo
  • Hitec HS-645MG Throttle Servo
  • CPI Racing Tuned Pipe for Redcat Rampage MT/TT – Black
  • NGK CR7HIX Iridium Spark Plug
  • DDM "Black Magic" 6v Ni-MH 5000mAh Hump Receiver Battery Pack for HPI Baja 5B/5T
  • Killer RC Super Bee Kill Switch
  • Flysky FS-GT3B Digital 3 channel transmitter and Receiver
  • Pro-line Desperado HPI Baja 5T Front/Rear wheels
  • Hostile Crushers Tire Set for HPI Baja 5T (Soft Compound)
  • 24mm Rampage to Baja Wheel Adapters
If you have any questions just ask

I have left the gear cover off on purpose. I haven't had any issue running with it off. I cut the body down some. A hard landing broke part of it and the rear mounts were all ways a pain to remove so I just eliminated them as you can see in the pics. The only other thing I may do upgrade wise is swap out the engine but the stock one is fine for now.

delta_kilo

Ya I drove the stock tires once and had nothing to compare them to. Got the Hostiles installed and it was quite a difference in traction on pavement, grass, and loss rock and dirt.

delta_kilo

Oh forgot to add I swapped the gears around and the higher top speed was nice but for bashing and turning a lot I felt like it lost to much low RPM power. That and when doing tight extended turns my 8K clutch was smoking. Put the gears back to stock and the clutch smoking stopped even with all 4 tires breaking lose. The taller Baja T5 wheels and tires increased my top speed a little but I didn't lose the low end power I wanted. A 2 speed trans would be nice but don't see one coming out anytime soon.

Chief409

Nice! Been looking at the Desperado or Split Six rims for when the stock tires wear out. And the Hostiles. Where I run it goes from loose dirt/sand, rocks, hardpan and some asphalt. With the occasional tumbleweed, small rodent, and Desert Bunnies!

I have a stand just like yours, right next to me. WalMart, $5.99 when purchased. Also holds my laptops. Very versatile! :)

delta_kilo

Ya gotta love my wifes all wood TV trays that I kinda ruined and took over. It was either that or work on it on the kitchen table. :) Ya the Hostiles handle all terrains I have run them on. They seem to even handle the pavement fine and grip very well on it. Grip really well on grass as I can and have flipped it going into turns fast if I turn to sharp on grass, and they hook up really well in, dirt, lose gravel and so on. Amazing tire that will do it all. I haven't noticed any wear yet and it's the soft compound. I probably have 3 hours of hard full throttle driving on them.

G

Looks great!

delta_kilo

The exhaust is actually only about 2 or 3 months old which is how old the Dunerunner is also. I cleaned it the other day with simple green and then spray it down and did notice the black on the back of the head by the exhaust port. I had actually forgot about it to look at it closer until I read the reply. I just went down and it's slightly wet and oily. I retightened the exhaust bolts but don't want to over tighten them and strip the bolt so I didn't torque them to much. It does look like it's a small exhaust link. If it keeps up I'll replace the gasket.

delta_kilo

If you look at the 2nd picture in the second set of photos you'll see where the pipe was bolted to the engine cover mount. Rough driving broke that mount the first day I had it out. I tried JB welding it but it broke again. I have just left it alone and driven the hell out of it. The buggy's been flipped, jumped, rolled and everything in between and the pipe has never damaged anything else other than the plastic roll cage right next to it. So no I'm not worried about it damaging the head as nothing has happened yet after hours of hard driving. I'm not willing to spend money on another pipe and this is one even though it does have some fitment issues I like the sound and love the performance increase.

delta_kilo

Went back down to see if I had another exhaust gasket. Took the tuned pipe off and found out the exhaust bolts were really loose. The exhaust was blowing out past the gasket. So easy fix. I lock tight the exhaust bolts new gasket and the leak should be fixed. I'll run it tomorrow. Maybe I'll pick up some more power. One can only hope.

I plan on replacing the engine next spring or summer so I was thinking of holding off because of that. Plus so far it's been fine not attached to that mount and I drive the hell out of this buggy. If it was going to break it would have really screwed something up by now. But thanks for the fan cover recommendation.

delta_kilo

You and I think a like. I added 3 zip ties to the rubber boot. It seems a little loose. I'll have some pics up in less than 5 minutes.

delta_kilo

I removed the broken fan cover mount and filled it in and sanded it down. I'll paint it black later. Did the same to the roll cage where the pipe lays against it. So far this has protected the cage from melting further even after extended full throttle runs. This is basically how it's been run for some time. The pipe pretty much stays in place even after my crashes which happen often.Hoping now that I got the exhaust leak fixed that maybe I'll find I get even more power out of the engine. :D

Dunerunner exhaust 1.jpg Dunerunner exhaust 2.jpg Dunerunner exhaust 3.jpg Dunerunner exhaust 4.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts