• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dissapointed in my rampage tt5....

pipeous

Boiling the plastic works. old school man. it softens the plastic and also moves around air bubbles. air bubbles in injection molding is the weak point. when boiling the plastic part it softens the plastic and breaks up bubbles, which lessens the chance of a big void to allow the part to snap..

I've done it with so many parts and rims before. Even Darrin at Hobbycraft (Thunder Tiger Canada) suggested boiling a set of rims he gave me at the Winter Nationals in Red Deer as they cracked so easy. It was super cold in that race. My driving skills just sucked because I was taken out bar hopping when I arrived and drank shooters all night for the first time in 20 years.... wow was I sick... lol. leaning out my car door in lot puking in -23 weather. freezing but too drunk to find my car keys just to turn on heater... yup try driving an rc in a big race with that hangover...

anyway. it does work. and it takes no time to do with new parts. ounce of prevention thing. if you don't have a pot big enough, use a kettle and the sink

I've found a way to soften old rubber tires too I have been playing around with. I have these old FG on road tires on my firehammer. had them for years and years. I tried to remove the rubber and it's so hard I couldn't get them off, boiling, oven nada. even had all the glue off the bead... I use a high grade solvent in auto detailing for cleaning rubber door seals and such. I first sprayed the tires and sealed in a bucket.. it helped but last night I soaked some cloths and wrapped saran wrap around the tires.... they are starting to get a little tacky now.... a couple more treatments and they will be more than drift rings again... I had heard soaking in diesel works but I just bought a new gallon of solvent so wanted to try... I will mod the idea a bit and see if I can't get a closer/better seal, maybe thicker cloth to hold more solvent...

chucked

Well for those saying 5th scales cant jump without breaking, do a youtube search of hpi baja 5t's and 5b's, then talk to me again. granted they do break easier, but my car is breaking WITHOUT jumping, its breaking riding it around on flat dirt.

chucked

I did have an idea though, im going to sandblast the inside of the rims and fill them with fiberglass resin, see how that works.

mooman007uk

Banned
I went out Sunday and got some decent air 5ft or so off some jumps which aint bad for a 30lb truck....most were good landings...if you land wrong then expect something to break...I'm impressed with the mid air control the rampage allows...bit slower than a nitro but you can pitch and yaw pretty easy. Wife is coming to get some video at the weekend so I'll post some airtime.

kryptonite

chucked said:
Well for those saying 5th scales cant jump without breaking, do a youtube search of hpi baja 5t's and 5b's, then talk to me again. granted they do break easier, but my car is breaking WITHOUT jumping, its breaking riding it around on flat dirt.
DUDE!!.. you cant campare a rampage to a 5b or 5t. there is a $650 diffrence between the mt and 5t!! 2 completly diffrent models. go on hbf and do a search and see how many threads there are about "carnage right out of the box".. theres guys on there right now bitching about gears melting and shock exploding. first. just becouse they come rtr, doesn't mean they are "plug-n-play". just like in a nitro, you have to brake it in for 5 tanks, well its gona take you 5 tanks to get the bugs out.. second, for every part you break there is a part designed NOT TO BREAK. buying the same part(rim) and expecting diffrent resoults is called insane. (insane= doing the same thing over, and over expecting diffrent resoults). if it breaks, replace it with something better. don't sand blast it and pack it with fiber glass. your just making your allready heavy ride, even heaver wich will break other things.. and i completly understand why you may be upset. this stuff isnt cheap, and is not for the light hearted. good luck homeboy!! :rolleyes:

kryptonite

chucked said:
kryptonite, thanks for the help, you really helped me out, if you cant tell, im being sarcastic.
This is for those that say 5th scales cant jump. A few guys from the hobby shop I work at runnin their stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=dirtdriver3&aq=-1&oq=dirtdriver

BTW bad maxx25 fired his up for the 1st time today, he broke a rim doing figure 8's on asphalt.
wow.. those are awsome vids. looks like there haven a blast!!! after i put all my alum. on this weekend i'll take a couple of vids lounching my mt.

RampageHopUps

chucked said:
kryptonite, thanks for the help, you really helped me out, if you cant tell, im being sarcastic.
This is for those that say 5th scales cant jump. A few guys from the hobby shop I work at runnin their stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=dirtdriver3&aq=-1&oq=dirtdriver

BTW bad maxx25 fired his up for the 1st time today, he broke a rim doing figure 8's on asphalt.
You need to ask them how much money they have invested int heir bajas to do that. I bet its more than $1500. Easy.

hellya

RampageHopUps said:
You need to ask them how much money they have invested int heir bajas to do that. I bet its more than $1500. Easy.
if they would have bought the KM baja... they would only have about $800-900 into the bajas:D

Last edited by a moderator:

chucked

Most are STOCK, some have motor mods, maybe a better battery and radio. The guys with the big bucks in them stay on the street. I'm at about the $1200 mark right now. I actually finished a tank of fuel today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WITHOUT BREAKING ANYTHING!!!! I was driving in straight lines on brand new asphalt!!

PS. in all the vids, I believe the only broken part from something that occurred in the vid was the FG buggy when he hit nose 1st off the jump, he broke a roll cage mount. and HOLY COW FG parts are expensive.

Simsy

I have both a baja and a rampage, I have yet to actually break anything on the rampage other than a front arm. Im not gentle with my cars and I have driven the ramp enougth to ware out two sets of tyres. My baja is in the middle of a major rebuild as i snapped the chassis, cracked the front bulk head and snapped a front extender all from jumping. My baja curently ows me about $3000 and I still perfer to drive the rampage except when im at the dunes where I like to jump the baja.

Simsy

yes I have a buggy most of the time but I change it to an mt from time to time for something different.

kryptonite

badboy2 said:
is the rampage the tmaxx of 5th scales?this is one thing that makes me think of getting one..
not really. its a class of its own. kinda like comparing an under cover agent to a parking meter cop..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.