• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dissapointed in my rampage tt5....

chucked

I bought this maybe 2 weeks ago. I haven't even got a tank and a half through it. Broke 2 steering mounts and 2 rims. The 1st time I broke a steering mount, and 1st time I broke a rim were kinda acceptable for me considering I was jumping pretty high. I got the aluminum steering mounts now, but I cannot keep the rims from breaking. I wasn't even jumping and my brand new rim, about 10 minutes old broke on me. I bought $200 worth of servos and a Futaba 3pm for it. I also got the tuned pipe and a ddm 26.9 top end on it. So I got a good chunk of change in it. Ive hardly even ran it. I'm literally on my 2nd tank, not even half way though it even, and considering the 1st 1/4 tank on each tank was easy running to start to break the motor in. Can anyone make me feel better about this, or maybe some sort of option for a stronger rim, or is this thing notorious for breaking every few minutes?

Sprint 77

Contributor
Put baja rims on it and you will also gain more tire choices too, You need 24 mm hex hubs from a baja or Dark soul axle extenders ask Rob @ rampage hp ups he sells them.

It is a good car and @ the price you got in it once you get this issue worked out you will be spanking bajas with twice the $$ you got in the Rampage,

Bryan 70546

are you running it in a cold enviroment if so the cold makes the plastic brittle just a thought.also keep in mind this thing is big and heavy things are going to break just the nature of the beast its not a little nitro car , it really is a great 1/5 just.

mooman007uk

Banned
all the rampage plastic is a bit brittle...i followed the lead of others on this forum and boiled the arms etc and it seems to work well. I have the mt and the wheels are tough enough...try boiling the tt rims to see if that works.

kryptonite

i agree with the cold, makes everything like ice. is this your first fith scale? it doesn't matter how much you spend, with all 5th scale you will have bugs to work out. just the way it is.. for instance, i spent $1000 on my hpi 5b then had to spend $300-$400 in after market parts just to make it worthy, like shock shafts, axle extenders, alumin gear plate, upgraded diff ontop of radio gear and tires plus headkit and pipe.. my fg sportsline? $1200.00, then another $400 plus in alumin. suspension parts(everything broke!) alum. motor mounts and gear plate and diff too! plus when the motor mounts went, i smoked $100 in gears.. the list goes on for ALL of my rigs.. i only replace things as they break. (except motors).. i just don't go shopping for fun. so when i see that the redcats are $750.00, its expected to put about $300 in ad-ons, plus your motor, pipe, and radio. were getting off easy with these redcats. you can do it on a budget for less the a grand.. if you don't beat on it.. its a good deal, and your getting a good rig(for the money).. without these forums, we would all spend WAY TOO MUCH MONEY.. they really help. if you would have hopped on the forums, we would have told you to ditch those rims.. do a search, ask questions, everything you need to save money and have fun is right here.. good luck

chucked

with the upgrades I did to it, it is definitely very powerful, Ive had maybe a dozen different off road monster trucks, truggies, and buggies over the past 2 years (nitro and electric) and Ive never had something break this much. I cant afford the 5b adapters and wheels right now so I guess its back to nitro and electric stuff until I can afford to convert. Maybe I will call redcat tomorrow and see if they can send me another rim or 2 to hold me over. at this rate it costs about 2 bucks a minute to run it.

chucked

and I do understand the cold being a factor, and even told someone before I broke this last rim that I wasn't gonna run it until it was over 60 degrees out. But the parts break so easy...

kryptonite

mooman007uk said:
all the rampage plastic is a bit brittle...i followed the lead of others on this forum and boiled the arms etc and it seems to work well. I have the mt and the wheels are tough enough...try boiling the tt rims to see if that works.
sorry moo, i disagree. its a good theory but thats it. absolutly impossible to change the molicules within the plastic by simply dipping them in water. i have done it, and still broken parts.. not saying YOUR wrong. just saying i don't agree..

chucked

I don't see how it would help either, it will make them softer while its warm, but once its cold again....

kryptonite

ya, i agree, but its not the jumps that hurt, its the sudden stop at the end of the jumps that leave you picking up peaces:p

BOOTS

kryptonite said:
ya, i agree, but its not the jumps that hurt, its the sudden stop at the end of the jumps that leave you picking up peaces:p
oops.......and don't land well

mooman007uk

Banned
it works for the arms, don't ask how it just does...justs softens them enough to be durable. I know pipeous and others have done it and not broke an arm since so it may work with the rims too...doesn't hurt to try. I was getting big air today at speed with a couple of one wheel front landings and wipeouts and nothing broke and it was cold.

you lose nothing by trying.

Trouble is with baja rims is they're smaller than the redcat buggy wheels, I've 4 paddles and they look a bit small mounted with the truck body , maybe the new proline desperados with the excavators would be good as they're bigger.

I want a set of the redcat buggy wheels myself, I'll boil em and see if they hold up ant better

badd_maxx25

yea they don't land well. alot of guys were running their bajas and 2 rampage mt one mt lost its body the other one didthe same and brook the pin in the rear diff then later a freind of mine name chuck took his out and brook the front wheel after just replaceing it. But on a good note i can finally get mine today

hellya

1 big difference beteween the nitro and electric you been running and the 1/5 vehicles... the nitros weigh what 7-10 lbs or so.

the 1/5 vehicles weigh 25-35 lbs... 3-4 times as much weight as the nitro

don't try to handle the big boys like you do a nitro you wont have the same jump control or handleing

You want a jumper get the smartech thunderbolt .....because of where they mount the engine (to the rear of the chassis) its a very well balanced machine and jumps very well

0034.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

chucked

Hey brian sweet ur gettin ur buggy today, btw, this is chuck, haha

chucked

I think it jumps decent, i need to stiffen it up a little, im gonna convert to 5b rims and tires when i get some money

emu67

the 1/5 scales won't survive a lot of bad landings. It's the nature of them...these things weigh about 30 lbs so you can't expect them to survive big jumps like an 1/8th scale. Even hitting a pipe at a track or tumbling it...you might break something because of the speed it goes at and the weight behind it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts