• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

dead lipo

andyken

I was given a 1/8 buggy...

no esc [burnt] and 2 4000 3s lipo's

lipo are at 1v and wont charge.

Can they be saved?

My charger just says error

UNCs toy

I have heard that it is possible using a very small charge ( .2 amp or so ). It would take forever and be hair raising, so to speak.

I have not done it, I would try it if I needed to,....just be monitoring the process in a safe location. ( concrete driveway, charge for awhile and see what happens ). I WOULD NOT ever trust them....that's just me. FWIW, I treat my lipos like any other battery. If I get a hot one, puffed cell, early discharge....whatever it is killed, I don't try and salvage the remaining cells.....that's just me.

G

You can try. Like stated use a very low rate. Don't use the lipo setting on your charger. You must monitor it.

G

andyken said:
I there a way to balance it? I got one started to charge, but one cell is still really low.
Some of the lipo checker will also balance. The only other way is to get enough power in it so that the balancer charger will accept it.

phreerider

i have heard of brief hi amp charge rate to try and bump it up. tough one there...they will just be uselss otherwise... ask KENT at KILLER RC

G

There is a very good chance you have a bad cell. If there is any sign of puffing I would not use them. It really sucks to burn up a car with with a bad pack.

andyken

I'm thinking they are dead...one is VERY dead.

The other I can get like 3.8v on cell 1&2, and maybe 2v on the 3rd cell.

It also seems to drop voltage fast in the 3rd cell..

The sad part is they were new with like three runs on them.

He ran maybe a half hour brand new set up till he hit a puddle.

Fried the esc and it sat for MONTHS .

andyken

So... when going 4s or 6s, any preference on using one pack or two?

I mean the price is similar for two 2s as it is for one 4s.

Same as two 3s or one 6s..?

And some times a little cheaper for the 4s 6s.

Is 5000 -5200 mah the biggest 2s 4s out there?

Seems like a lot more mah options for 3s/6s...

The 3s 8400 mah in my slash is a lot of fun!

I got used two 5000 2s with my new toy, good power at first, but sort of short run time [old batteries?]

Cain

For 4S 1/8 buggy usage, the good priced packs nowadays with great runtime are the 4S 6500mah lipos in the 60 - 70C rating. SMC has some as well as Vicious-Tek with 6 month warranties.

If you want pure runtime in a ROAR legal pack, I beleive promatch has 7200mah lipos. Definitely more $$$ though, but, if that is what you are looking for, I have had great success with promatch lipos.

You can also buy there 7200mah 2S lipos and hook them together using the 5mm male to male plug setup. Heck, I think you could even do more packs together this way lol.

G

For longer run times a parallel set up is best. You will be doubling the mah.

2 x a 3s 5000mah in series = 6s 5000mah

2 x a 6s 5000mah in parallel = 6s 10,000mah

Cain

only issue on a 1/8 E buggy is trying to balance weight versus amount of mah, etc.

IN general, we tried to stick to around 600g max if you using a single lipo setup. Dual lipo setups saddle style can also benefit from a bit lighter weight too but don't see as affected as heavier weight lipos.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.