• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

CPI install issues

Mike4130

I attempted to install my new pipe last night but it ended unsuccessfully. First the exhaust kit didn't come with a new gasket (The kit says everything needed for the install is included). Then, stuff doesn't want to line up. It came with a aluminum bracket, I think it goes on the rear shock tower. I don't know, I've never seen close up pictures of this pipe mounted nor did the kit come with any type of install tips or pics.

I'm not new to figuring stuff out but for $200.00+ you would think it came with something. The mount just don't line up as you can see. I am able to twist the flange a little bit but the angle is off by 3/4".

Has anyone had similar issues or have any tips/pics to share? I could really use some photos of how it is supposed to mounted. Thanks.

null_zpsacae442a.jpg

null_zpsed1089c1.jpg

null_zps2c1945bb.jpg

null_zps007e24ce.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Michaels12

I had that kind of experience also. I didn't get a gasket, the fit left a little to be desired.

I had to tap the exhaust threads, but the cap screws were still about @ 10mm too long, according to my uncalibrated eyes.

I got Mr Gasket sheet material at Oreillys(8.00) and picked up some of the NGK plugs, (which were 2.59 each) .

I did use a soft dead blow hammer to seat the pipe in the header, and the forward mount flang still came up short......

But the overall performance seemed substantial. I hope it picks up just a bit as this engine is still tight ( 3-4 tanks run through).

Thanks for the pics!

I did the bracket just as you did.

REVOlutionary Rampage

The Front Mounting Bracket

My coupler setup

Rear Shock exhaust mount

This is what mine looks like.

I agree with you, for 200.00 directions and all the parts would be nice.

I ordered a gasket with mine just to be on the safe side.

Looking at your pics, it looks like the pipe and exhaust bracket, aren't in the coupler enough.

The rear of it should be level with the mount, like mine. just some suggestions :)

Hey, I had sandblasting sand left in mine when I got it.

If yours is welded together wrong someone is definitely asleep at the wheel in the quality control department at CPI.

redthomas

Lol. My track pipe is awesome..don't think you can even order them anymore. On another note. I'd send the CPi back. I don't see how people don't get it..they make a product and put a price on it..as a buyer we don't argue the price, we pay what they ask. They should take the time and make sure you get what your expecting , per the price you pay..I've read all these stories about cpi and them not mailing parts. Or gaskets left out of the package. You expect that when you buy scratch and dent, or discount, but when you kick out top price you should be thanked for your purchase by having a good experiance. People who buy these and still have to mod everything are crazy, you buy a pipe for a model, it should bolt on, its not like the model varies.

REVOlutionary Rampage

http://www.largescalerc.com/CPITunedPipeforRedcatRampage.aspx

Mike, is this where you got your pipe?

Red, take a look at the link above it shows everything that comes with the CPI. Which I got when I ordered mine. I'm assuming the extra $30.00 is for the chrome plating. As far as price vs product, In the picture on the link it shows you what you get. It all comes down to preference. I liked the look and how it went so I bought it.

If I were you Red, I'd trade in the TGN and get a CPI :D JK lol

Mike4130

REVOlutionary Rampage said:
http://www.largescalerc.com/CPITunedPipeforRedcatRampage.aspxMike, is this where you got your pipe?

Red, take a look at the link above it shows everything that comes with the CPI. Which I got when I ordered mine. I'm assuming the extra $30.00 is for the chrome plating. As far as price vs product, In the picture on the link it shows you what you get. It all comes down to preference. I liked the look and how it went so I bought it.

If I were you Red, I'd trade in the TGN and get a CPI :D JK lol
No, I bought it from DDM. They have been great to deal with and are being very helpful through this issue.

teedog12

between the flange and the pipe you may need to twist it a little to get it to line up thats what I had to do w/mine

Mike4130

REVOlutionary Rampage said:
Cool, did you get your pipe mounted up yet?
No, I haven't touched it since last week. The truck isn't even at my house. I was planning on wrenching on it tomorrow hopefully. Mike @ CPI is building a pipe off of a v.3 MT to dbl check his specs. If its off, he's going to send me another pipe.

Mike4130

Well it looks like I'm putting back on the stock can for now. CPI still hasn't gotten around to fitting a new pipe for me. Has anyone else tried to put a CPI pipe on a v.3 and had these issues? Mike @ CPI said he took the pipe I sent back & it bolted right up to a v.2. How is that possible? Was there a slight change in engine position between a v.2 & a v.3? Oh well, at least I get to run it next week finally.

G

That's strange.

There was not changes between the v2 & v3 that would affect the pipe.

Many guys run it on v3 MTs.

So, are you just going to try something else?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts