• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Carbon fibre Chassis

TheCount

I have found some one who sells a carbon fibre chassis for the D/R.

Waiting to hear back on a price.

I wish i had found this BEFORE i bought my D/R chassis to make my D/R copy longer.

How do you all think it will hold up???

ozibuggybasha

Gday Im no expert but went through a similar investigation when looking at a custom bumper bar for my 1/6 scale Trailblazer. Carbon fibre is light and rigid but has low impact resistance, being a component that could suffer abrasion you may find it wear away as well. The answer maybe in carbon composites that have Kevlar woven into the mix which gives greater "bashability" (hope that's a word) but will make it heavier than carbon only. Price could be $$$

I settled on a bumper and a subframe made of 6061 Aliminium. Very stiff quite light weldable (Tig) and holds a thread well. Hope this helps mate.

chapinb

If it's an on road car, you'll be fine. If it's a basher, that carbon fiber better be pretty thick to hold up.

kur

Carbon fiber has pretty good impact resistance actually. The problem though is that it doesn't like to flex. Aluminum will actual flex a little bit, dissipating a lot of the impact force and then it will go right back to its original position. Of course aluminum can flex too far and just plain bend. Carbon fiber won't bend, it will snap or even shatter. Long story short, a good carbon fiber chassis will be stronger than the sick aluminum, but it's a one and done deal if you hit it too hard.

alfred e numan

I think it would have the same issues that dirt bikers have when this is used as a skid plate. The bolts pull tru the holes and fracture the area around the same holes. Then agan, our r-c stuff requires less torque on the bolts. - With the exception of the engine mount bolts. who knows huh? only one way to find out-

kur

I remember a few years back vantage made the carbon fiber chassis for the revo and everybody and their dog wanted that thing. I never heard anything bad about it.

Also, if carbon fiber is good enough to withstand a formula 1 car busting head on into a wall at 200mph, I think it can be made plenty strong for a 1/5 scale rc.

Just have make sure the carbon sheets are high quality and the weave is laid out correctly. Also I believe vacuum forming is superior to just regular molds.. I think..

Ildy666

I bought the new belt drive it has a carbon fiber gear plate and it splintered around the bearing for the clutch bell.i believe heat and poor craftsmenship caused the problem.what i'v seen with carbon fiber used for r/c use is its not made well.weather it's the carbon fiber it's self or the way it's layed out but it seems like it doesn't hold up well.i wait for some reviews before purchasing the chassis...

alfred e numan

For weight savings - NOT wallet savings, What would save more weight than a carbon chassis would be TI nuts-bolts. What would really be trick also wouldbe to see a laid off nasa employee get into r-c - magnesium engine cases, TI crank-- In my dreams---- Its all bout power to weight ratio--

bigfol

TheCount said:
I have found some one who sells a carbon fibre chassis for the D/R.Waiting to hear back on a price.

I wish i had found this BEFORE i bought my D/R chassis to make my D/R copy longer.

How do you all think it will hold up???
I reckon it will shatter, unless is combind with another material, the weight saving would be nice though, keep us posted....

Michaels12

It's all about fiber orientation, and the matrix. It also helps to have good process control.

They make the main rotor hub on a helo out of carbon fiber (5500 layers I believe), because Titanium will not handle the stress/strain cycles.

I'd make one if I had the resources. The materials and equipment are not common in home garages.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts