• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Cant get the new one to start

Guantanamo Joe

Ok, so I know there are a thousand "wont start" threads. I have read them all.

On engine break in, I went through about a half a tank... let it warm up with light throttle then gave it hell- as suggested. Every once in a while it would die which I figured meant it needs a good tune.

I did a little tuning and got it to run ok, but on my last run it did die and I didnt bother re-starting it becuase we were about to leave.

Today I went to start it with no success. I put a new plug in it (and it has plenty of spark). I re-set the factory needles.

When I pull the start, I smell a lot of gas. I don't know if this is normal because my other 2 cats start in 2 pulls.

Help?

Thanks...

caveman

Was the primer buld full or empty? Is anything wet around the engine? Check the bottom of the Carb, the head and intake. If there is a big enough air leak it won't start. Oh and the exhaust gasket check that.

cherryride

only 3 things needed to run.

1-spark

2-compression

3-gas

these carbs have diaphragm fuel pump. they go bad sometimes if gas gets something in it. fuel filters are a must.

pull plug and put finger over hole , pull starter rope to check compression.

check new plug for flooding if you smell gas too strong.

make sure crank case and cumbustion chamber is clear of excess gas.

thats about all i can tell you.

good luck!

Deluge

You can also put a few drops of 2 stroke oil down the plug hole to test the compression. That'll create a temporary seal around the piston. If the compression is low, the engine will run for a few seconds and then die when the oil is gone.

Guantanamo Joe

I am at work for the night now... so I will have to work on it tomorrow afternoon or some time... but please keep the suggestions coming, I need them... my pull start fingers have blisters :(

Deluge

That link I posted covers it all, dude. Should get you up and running, or at least let you know what the issue is.

Also, when you were tuning, did you keep an eye on your plug color?

Guantanamo Joe

I looked at the link Deluge, I have done most of the simple stuff on the list- I will probably have to wait till my next night off to break it down and see wtf is going on- may just order the 990 carb and worry about it once that is on. Would that be smart or would it be better to get it running THEN change that out?

G

I am guessing you just flooded it. Take the plug out turn it upside down and give it a few pulls. Let it sit about 20 minutes with the plug out.You want a much of the fuel to evap as possible. When attempting to restart it. Try it with out the choke first.*

Also you might need to vent the tank ASAP. If the fuel gets hot and the tank is not vented the expanded fuel gets pushed through the carb into the engine. It basically floods itself.

Good luck.

Guantanamo Joe

I was so far ignoring the fuel vent because I was thinking- there is no way this is vapor lock seeing as it has not been running today. I totally dismissed this possibility of the EXPANSION of fuel in the tank... GRRR... Now I have to sit at work all night long and wonder if this will work :(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts