• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

can’t get engine to start...

got my new , used dunerunner today.. looks good.. :D

went and got 92oct fuel and mixed it in 1/20 with good 2-cycle oil.

After over 1 hr trying, i could not get the engine to fire off. (got blisters on my hand now)

Plug has a good spark and gets fuel as well.. tried with choke, without, and half choke, as well as all throttle positions.. no luck..

Any advice on how to get it started ?

btw.. it has velocity stack, outerwear covers, doiminator tuned exhaust.

alfred e numan

pull the spark plug and see if its wet, damm- 1 hour? if the plug is dry, theres something wrong with the carb. If the plug is wet, you may have flooded it bad- if this is the case- wet plug- leave the plug out and pull the starter- if you still are able to--lol? na, blisters hurt.- let the engine dry out- set it in the sun- speed things up. do not spray automotive carb cleaner in the carb to clean it- this stuff will destroy the carbs rubber innards.- fresh plug may help to.- oh- if the plug is dry- no fuel- put about 7-8 drops of pre-mix in the plug hole- and try to start it- good luck-

already pulled the plug twice. was a little wet.. dried the plug with my small torch.

I do get a good spark, when holding to the housing.

Pulled the cord a couple times without a plug to make sure, cylinder cleans out.

Also pulled the starter a couple time, with the intake closed, to force fuel in.

About the set-screws.. no idea, if they are set right. :(

well.. main reason i stopped, 9besides my hand hurts).. it was getting to dark outside :cool:

got it running

Finally,

bought a new plug, tried to start it and broke the pull rope... :mad:

(did i mentioned, the DR was used ? )

anyway.. got that fixed with a better type of rope and checked everything while at it.

adjusted carb according the the info found on the link provided by Deluge.. thanks.

Appears to be, i had the engine totally flooded and i did not dried it out right..

After following all instructions, i finally got to to run.. :D

tried it in our small back yard.. damn.. this thing is fast.. :eek:

right now i got the batteries on charge and i will try it at the beach tomorrow.. nice white sand dunes.. should be fun. :cool:

btw

I noticed those paddle tires realy speed that thing up.

One more question : I noticed after replacing the cord, it is pretty hard to pull the engine.. the pull start is good and not binding, but you sure can feel the compression.. almost like it wants to lock up.. is that normal?

alfred e numan

starting

when you pull on the starter, pull slowly. you will feel it catch on the engagement dogs in the starter assembly- then pull hard to start.- Sounds as though the engines in good running order- when these engines are primed up with fuel- they have more cranking compression-- harder to turn over with the rip cord.- its a sign of a good top end.- glad ya git it started.

Deluge

I use that starting method, as well. Puts less stress on the pawl and the rope.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.