• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

battery or servo?

jeeper049687

What are the normal sympoms of when your battery starts to run down?, had the darn thing not run away but would keep moving no reponse from throttle servo, failsafe was not working at putting the brake on, removed failsafe vehicle ran normal for about 10min. then did the same thing. turned everything off because i figured o well ran it out of gas must of gone lean and peped up or something. turned it all back on and started it up ran for about 2 minutes lost steering almost all together, ok yea steering was gone. checked it out and steering was very sluggish throttle/brake would work and then sometimes no reponse, figured it was time for the servo batt. to be charged, so did that, havent' been out yet it rained pretty bad today so didn't wanna get it covered in mud. did order the super bee kill switch would like to get a batt. meter eventually. just wanted to know if this is normal or not. had a blast on sunday ran about 5 full tanks and was out for about 4 hours. this will be the first time charging the battery since out of the box thats 9, 500cc tanks of gas and about 1/4 of a tank. im suprised but will probly never last that long again huh, lol.

G

Sounds like a dead battery. The nickle batteries discharge even when not in use. If it has been a week or more I always charge the nickle receiver pacs the night before. You can encounter receiver glitches if the voltage drops to far.

cordy

+1 on the battery. When the battery is low all kinda things go on.Twitching,things not operating normal. Yes charge your battery every time your going to run your platform.

jeeper049687

ok and i don't want to overcharge the darn thing. um. can i over charge the stock battery with the stock charger? whats a good charge time?

G

jeeper049687 said:
ok and i don't want to overcharge the darn thing. um. can i over charge the stock battery with the stock charger? whats a good charge time?
You really can't overcharge it with the stock charger. You should charge it for at least 8 hours. When using the stock charger I let it charge over night.

G

jeeper049687 said:
about what voltage will the stock 6v nm batt start to act up, i can keep an eye on it with my voltmeter for now.
If it gets down to 4v you will have problems.

Deluge

jeeper049687 said:
about what voltage will the stock 6v nm batt start to act up, i can keep an eye on it with my voltmeter for now.
I'd say 4V or less.

Deluge

jeeper049687 said:
8-10 hours is enough. You should get a peak charger, dude. Less hassle.

Deluge

I use an Onyx 200. I still use NiMH's in all my R/C's, so it works for my application.

jeeper049687

thanks again everybody, charge overnight and the servo's were acting normal again, for now. just everynight this week i'd get home and i would just start to thunderstorm. haven't taken it out yet, hopefully tomorrow will be a rain free day.

jeeper049687

yea wouldn't think that a low battery would make the servo's act so twitchy, figured they would just stop working. and i have experienced the battery idle drain. didn't plug it in on saturdaynight let it sit a few days after about a 10hr charge. lost steering on sunday. after about 5 tanks. "the reason i called it a day" dead battery.and there is deffinately a surface charge on the batt. shut the receiver off for about 10minutes and then turned back on and everything worked normal for a minute or two. this could really make for some nervous situations, the ugh now what did i do. ooo nevermind. moments that happen sometimes. u know being new to R/C. i think a battery upgrade or atleast another stock battery will be a future purchase.

G

Not only the servo, but also the receiver. Electronics are picky.

G

I have one of the DDM 5000mah. It is a great pack. You still have to renpmember to charge the night before if it's been a while. Once charged your good for the whole weekend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts