• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

4 pin gears with a High Torque engine build

Chief409

My Dune Runner V3 has the 4 pin gears, has anyone used this with a High Torque engine build. Can I stay stock or go with the square nut gears, possibly a belt drive.

I just want a realistic appraisal, pro and con, preferably first hand experience.

alfred e numan

no idea really. my xb has no pins. I gotta say though, a high rpm clutch spring can be rough on running gear if the guy is constantly blipping the throttle- you know, like some fallers do with saws- doing this under high traction condition - tarmac makes the stress even worse, somethings gotta let go. I have a car- tb that has a 30.5 gitzmmotor - 990-torque pipe-ect-ect- I prefer a 7500 spring. The engine has enough balls- torque to throttle it at the point of hook up- not wild wheel spin- sorta like riding a dirt bike- never let the wheels come back to the ground under excessive throttle in high traction conditions.- sorta nurseing the running gear i suppose- Only one way to really know 409- bolt that mill in and run it!!

alfred e numan

yea, when all the moisture is gone -becomes bone dry and tractionless. i will install a 6000 spring- with a powerful mill- actually faster this way- hook up at a lower rpm.- good running 409, hope this helps ya.

Chief409

Only time I run on pavement is when I put a GPS on to get the top speed.

Question of the day: With a 1:92 gear ratio, 14,600 RPM engine speed and HPI 5T Trenchers, what is the theoretical top speed? Hint, it's lots higher then what you'll ever see!

Everything else is sand, talcum powder, or on an old BMX track. Dirt is where it's at! And having raced on SCT tracks (still do with a killer Slash 4X4 LCG I built), I developed the touch on jumps. Blipping the throttle is a newbie thing. Smooth wins races.

Thing is, I looked at all those pins and got curious about how they would hold up with a wild, high torque engine build. Dogbones and cups, yeah, they would likely go first. No CVC's on the Dune Runner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.