• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XT running like crap.

IVIayheIVI

Hey guys,

So I got my X-Can and Killer B installed and took it for it's first test today. I'm not impressed. It lost a lot of power and it's not firing properly. Kindof wishing I had done one upgrade at a time and tested to see how each modification affected performance.

The lost power might just be the X-Can. I might try something else for exhaust, I have an idea already about that. Also, due to a melted shock tower brace, the tubing is kindof pinched restricting it even further.

However, the mis-firing issue has got me wondering. Maybe it's the exhaust but I'm thinking more likely the Killer B is causing ignition problems. I could be wrong. It kindof spits and sputters here and there as it's winding up. I tried tuning to compensate but no dice. It was running great before these upgrades.

Any thoughts?

IVIayheIVI

Yeah, I was thinking of removing it to see what happens... so what, just removed the module and twist the wire ends together? I soldered the other ends to the kill switch clips that go on the coil.

Deluge

Which version of the Kill switch are you using? And what radio system? I read about a similar issue on Killer RC's forum. It could be a setting on the third channel. A bad receiver pack could also be the cause.

alotoftoys

I have a issue that I hope someone can help me out with. I took my new xt out for a maiden run and it ran fine. I put atleast 3 to 4 more tanks through it and still no problem. After the 4th tank I noticed that the idle started revving up and down then it would not run. The truck is completely stock. I let it cool down and tried starting it and it would fire right up and as soon as it would warm up it would not run right.

Deluge

alotoftoys said:
I have a issue that I hope someone can help me out with. I took my new xt out for a maiden run and it ran fine. I put atleast 3 to 4 more tanks through it and still no problem. After the 4th tank I noticed that the idle started revving up and down then it would not run. The truck is completely stock. I let it cool down and tried starting it and it would fire right up and as soon as it would warm up it would not run right.
Did you vent your gas cap?

alotoftoys

Well I believe so, I mean it came with a vented gas cap. Is there something that I am suppose to do extra to the cap that came with the truck? Of coarse I also tried adjusting the high and low speed as soon as it wasnt running right, which I learn't I probably should not have. Now I am not sure where the stock needle valve settings are supposed to be.

I tried to find a sight that would tell me and I have had no luck.

IVIayheIVI

Mine is a V1, and I'm using a Hitec Aggressor SRX Pro 2.4GHz TX/RX system. My battery is a DDM 5000mah.

IVIayheIVI

I took out the killswitch that had the Killer B installed and put the original back in. The mis-firing is gone. Nice that I found the problem... but now I have to figure out exactly why this Killer B is causing this problem.

When I hit the 3rd channel button, it displays +100 or -100 on the LCD display, so I have my doubts that it's just a setting in the TX. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

And yeah... the lack of power is from the X-Can. That thing is coming off pronto. What I think I'll do is use the header from the Jetpro and get a piece of heat resistant hose to pipe it out the back. Straight pipe for the win!

alotoftoys

jetting

IVIayheIVI said:
Here's a couple links that will help you. First, a thread with a bunch of useful info including stock needle settings:
http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=5456&page=2&highlight=needle+settings

Here's one of many gas cap venting threads:

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=5546&highlight=vent
I got restless wanting to get it going so I went to the garage and looked at the stock jetting that my power broom had and started at that and tuned it a little more now it is running strong, idles with the brake on. The rtr kit that i bought came with a free X-CAN Exhaust so I put it on. I think I am going back to stock the X-can makes a huge mess. Is the X-can exhaust something I should consider keeping on or is the stock just as good?

RampageHopUps

The x-can will be much better than stock. More likely you have a tuning problem or you got dirt I'm the engine.

IVIayheIVI

Funny thing is.. I just took off my X-Can. Compared to my mangled Jetpro, which was pretty much a straight pipe, I lost a lot of power. I'm going back to straight pipe.

powerslave69

play it safe

IVIayheIVI said:
Hey guys,
So I got my X-Can and Killer B installed and took it for it's first test today. I'm not impressed. It lost a lot of power and it's not firing properly. Kindof wishing I had done one upgrade at a time and tested to see how each modification affected performance.

The lost power might just be the X-Can. I might try something else for exhaust, I have an idea already about that. Also, due to a melted shock tower brace, the tubing is kindof pinched restricting it even further.

However, the mis-firing issue has got me wondering. Maybe it's the exhaust but I'm thinking more likely the Killer B is causing ignition problems. I could be wrong. It kindof spits and sputters here and there as it's winding up. I tried tuning to compensate but no dice. It was running great before these upgrades.

Any thoughts?
Guess the old adage applies here "if ain't broke...don't fix it" I stll have my failsafe on my old basher, XT and still working great. Pipe still stock. Now I'm thankful when the wife told me "buy the parts or upgrade them when they break" She was right. I paid fot this failsafe, stock pipe etc. So might as well use 'em and abuse 'em and when they break, then I'll go for the upgrade! :D

IVIayheIVI

The thing is, I've been running my XT all this time WITHOUT an engine kill failsafe. I was finally able to get the Killer B on there when I got my new TX/RX system with the 3rd channel. I would really like to have this working properly, as I don't chance running more than 2 tanks through with my 5000mah battery. I know it can do more, but I don't want a run away truck if I overdo it.

As for the exhaust, you saw my hacked Jetpro, right? LOL! With that installed, it would melt the body if I put it on. I also kindof wanted an exhaust that was intact. So I decided to try an X-Can. Also, there's the whole backpressure thing. Well, I can tell you the straight pipe I made from the remnants of the Jetpro let the engine produce more power than the X-Can. I'm reading up on backpressure theory right now actually. There's varying opinions on the subject.

All I know for sure is what I've experienced. The Jetpro, when it was fully intact, gave it quite a kick at higher rpm. It was almost like the engine had "powerband" like my old CR250. Once I chopped it off, I lost some higher rpm power I'm pretty sure, but I think the low end improved a bit. It was running pretty good as you might have seen in my posted videos. I put on this X-Can and wow... it seemed so gutless. That might be partially my fault with how I had the silicone tubing installed. Anyway, as far as the exhaust goes, I'm going to try and get it as close to the chopped Jetpro as possible while still being able to put the body on.

IVIayheIVI

Killer RC sent me something to clear up my firing issue I had when I put the Killer B on it. I had put the Killer B and X-Can on at the same time. I know now that I should do 1 mod at a time and test because things like this can happen....

My truck is running great now because of this little part. Way more power and no misfiring. It seems to be a magnetic filter of some kind which simply clips onto the Killer B wire. I'm wondering what the X-Can would be like now so I might end up installing it again to check it out.

foxys

Sounds like a Ferule, and they are used for noise suppression, which would explain the logic behind it. :) Glad you got it sorted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts