• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XT break in

IVIayheIVI

Hi guys,

I was planning on doing all the mods to my XT before starting it for the first time but thought I should ask...

Should I do the break-in procedure before doing any modding? Or would it be better to do the mods and then break it in?

It's getting a Jetpro pipe, HPI air filter, prefilter, Hitec servos, on-board battery, TX/RX and Killer B failsafe. I'm thinking the pipe might affect the break-in.

Comments? Thanks!

jeffp83

I would install everything except for the jetpro pipe. Just break it in with the stock exhaust and then switch to the jetpro, that way you'll get to see what kind of power increase you get from it. :D I don't think it matters if you use a tuned pipe when breaking in though, just richen the needles a bit.

You definetely want the killer bee installed right away!

IVIayheIVI

I'm definately going to try and follow the break-in procedure. I want my engine to last a good long while.

I've been researching mix ratios for fuel. I've read anywhere from 20:1 to 40:1. Recommended at 25:1 right? Maybe 20:1 for break-in.

I picked up some oil today, people rave about amsoil products so that's what I bought. Amsoil high performace interceptor synthetic 2-cycle. Says on the back to mix 50:1. I'm guessing that's probably not recommended for these particular engines.

jeffp83

Use 25:1, don't bother with 20:1 for break-in. I do kind of agree with deluge though, not sure if these engines do really need to 'break-in'.

I ran my stock engine in as per the instructions but with my new engine I just ran it hard right from the beginning and it goes like stink.

Triggerman77

Contributor
YEP!! Break-in is just constantly changing rpm. Not holding it wide open but run it!!!

don't try to baby it or just let it idle BC That does not break it in About the 4th tank of gas it will come alive :)

jeffp83

RampageHopUps said:
Do not use the Jetpro for break-in. The stock can will get the ring seated much faster.
What's the reason for the ring seating faster without a tuned pipe?

IVIayheIVI

I'm breaking in my new XT. Running all stock parts right now except the battery, it's the only part I've received so far. I have to wait for delivery on the other parts probably Monday.

I was quite maticulous when it came to the fuel mixture. Measured out the oil at 25:1 and put a little more gas in the can than the mark to compensate for the amount of space the oil took.

I let it idle for the first tank, giving it a little bit of throttle now and then. I've run another tank between 2 sessions (needed a slight repair in the middle) and it's not running all that well. I haven't touched the needles yet, my friend was insisting I shouldn't touch them until the motor is completely broke in, about 4 tanks right?\

So yeah, right now it's running it's best with the choke half on even when it's warmed up. I'm thinking I need to make some adjustments. I have never tuned a 2 stroke engine before, though I did watch Squirrel's 1/5th scale series on youtube, and the one about tuning 3 times.

Should I be adjusting these needles then? I'm thinking so. With the bouncing around, the choke doesn't want to stay at half so I'm constantly adjusting it, and even when I have it at about it's best, it doesn't have the power it should. At least, this is my best guess based on the many youtube videos I've watched.

On top of that, there seems to be an idle adjust as well as the LS needle. Where should the idle adjust be when I tune the needles?

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Deluge

Double check your needles. There's no guarantee they were set correctly from the factory. Read this and make sure they're where they need to be.

Link

Also, letting the engine idle for a tank isn't going to allow the ring to seat properly. If the ring doesn't seat they way it should, you won't get the best possible performance out of it.

IVIayheIVI

Yeah, I thought so.... I learn quickly, but do need some guidance, just a point in the right direction sometimes. Thanks guys! I'm going to reset the needles as noted in that guide tomorrow as I'm done for the day.

Despite the poor performace today, it was still fun. I'm sure I'll have a blast when it's running at it's peak.

I took some pics when I unpacked it, I'll post them up when I have a bit of time.

powerslave69

I love being RICH

IVIayheIVI said:
I'm breaking in my new XT. Running all stock parts right now except the battery, it's the only part I've received so far. I have to wait for delivery on the other parts probably Monday.
I was quite maticulous when it came to the fuel mixture. Measured out the oil at 25:1 and put a little more gas in the can than the mark to compensate for the amount of space the oil took.

I let it idle for the first tank, giving it a little bit of throttle now and then. I've run another tank between 2 sessions (needed a slight repair in the middle) and it's not running all that well. I haven't touched the needles yet, my friend was insisting I shouldn't touch them until the motor is completely broke in, about 4 tanks right?\

So yeah, right now it's running it's best with the choke half on even when it's warmed up. I'm thinking I need to make some adjustments. I have never tuned a 2 stroke engine before, though I did watch Squirrel's 1/5th scale series on youtube, and the one about tuning 3 times.

Should I be adjusting these needles then? I'm thinking so. With the bouncing around, the choke doesn't want to stay at half so I'm constantly adjusting it, and even when I have it at about it's best, it doesn't have the power it should. At least, this is my best guess based on the many youtube videos I've watched.

On top of that, there seems to be an idle adjust as well as the LS needle. Where should the idle adjust be when I tune the needles?

Thanks for all your help guys!!
Spark plugs is way cheaper than a whole engine. Ever since I started messing around with 2 stroke engine, I found out it don't hurt as much to run your motor on the "rich" side. Even my dirt bikes lasted longer when I was running it rich. running lean will give you more power but the life span of the motor is drastically shortened.

IVIayheIVI

Running WAY better today, lots of power. I'm running lean on the LS needle tho to keep it idle. I have the idle adjust screw all the way in and am adjusting the LS from there. Unfortunately, glue on a rear tire let go, and I have no glue.... no HS in town. Might be looking for better tires right anyway but I was hoping these would last for a little while.

IVIayheIVI

Thanks for the tip Rob. Though they didn't know what I was talking about when I said toughened black ca glue. They recommended Weldbond, it's drying right now, I'll try it after supper.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.