• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XB Tires Toasted in Two Tanks

DemonRC

I have an update on the XB tires. I've officially destroyed them in less than two tanks. I'm pretty sure that the problem lies with the foams going out. The walls of the tire are very thin so without foam support they will deflect very easily.

The first weekend I had them I got a tank in before a buddy's 5T rolled over me and broke my air filter. I noticed at that time that the foams were almost shot and the sidewalls were getting grinded.

I got almost another tank in today before I noticed I was running front wheel drive only. I pulled the car in and the right rear tire hub was stripped out. A 23cc engine stripped the wheel in two tanks? The foams were now dust which caused me to grind the sidewall on each turn and eventually ripped the tire wide open.

I'm not sure if the wheel stripping can be fixed since FG squares do this quite regularly. I've tried all types of FG wheels and no 18mm square seems to hold up for the life of the tire. The tire griding should be an easy fix. We just need better tire foam that doesn't disintergrate. Maybe even add internal/external ribs to the sidewall for support. That prolly won't happen though since that we mean a re-mould.

Here's some pics of two tires, a stripped hub, and what's left of my tire foams.

Last edited by a moderator:

GTS 666

Two tanks of fuel Ouch! looks like Hpi wheel adaptors and different wheel tyre combo would be the easiest mod straight out of the box maybe. Sure looks like a waste of a tyre with so much tread left on there. :)

camo

Its a shame my demonic XB friend couldt run on sunday because of those dam tires!!! I definetly recomend baja adaptors and proline wheels/tires out of the box, not even HPI but PROLINES a bit more expensive but worth every penny....

Last edited by a moderator:

Obeast44

Banned
camo said:
Its a shame my demonic XB friend couldt run on sunday because of those dam tires!!! I definetly recomend baja adaptors and proline wheels/tires out of the box, not even HPI but PROLINES a bit more expensive but worth every penny....
I feel ya, Im waiting on Silverback Guerilla fronts, in black, and Hostile front dual density hard foams to come in stock @DDM or LargescaleRC. My foams are nonexistant on my XBe, but since I run in grass my tires havent torn yet.

DemonRC

My partner ordered me a set of the Ramtech adapters in trade for my BBQ pit :D I should have them this week. I'll take some pictures with the Elcon Quartz tires on. It should look and perform good.

bbuzzard

Contributor
Looks like my tires are about to bite the dust...same type of sidewall damage shown above. I have access to some FG wheels... do they fit?

DemonRC

I ran my FG Baja wheels on my XB once. They have such a large offset that the wheels put too much pressure on the bearings. I'm sure you can run them without a problem but your bearing life would probably be cut in half. They do look cool as hell though.

Obeast44

Banned
Ive got some spare Rampage front knuckles that I may try and adapt to the front to go along with the rears that Lightforce already adapted. Will it be worth the effort Demon? My XBe is still ripping it up, and considering how light it actually is I don't think its needed. The Gas XB could benefit from it though.

DemonRC

I'd wait for Ol'fart to build a complete set. He said we need about 10 guys to get on board for the front and rears and he'll put em out. His knuckles will be using 22x10x6 which is 200% better than the 19x5x5.

bbuzzard

Contributor
DemonRC said:
I ran my FG Baja wheels on my XB once. They have such a large offset that the wheels put too much pressure on the bearings. I'm sure you can run them without a problem but your bearing life would probably be cut in half. They do look cool as hell though.
Do you know what's the depth difference on the hubs between the FG drive vs. the XB drive? I may have to do some more CSI on this but I was wondering if one of you smart dudes may know. FYI, I have seen that the FG Baja wheels have a huge offset but the wheelset I have doesn't have that much of a offset (for Elcon, etc...)

bbuzzard

Contributor
Yeah, I saw those...if you catch a sale at Hobbythek, the total cost ain't too shabby and their shipping times are better than getting stuff from HK...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts