• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XB-E motor upgrade?

St33v3

Just wondering, is there an upgrade available for the XB-E for the motor/esc?

Biggest LiPo for runtime?

lateralrectus

I have been searching for this answer for 3 weeks. I had a Castle 1717 motor in the car (it just barely fits), and it works well with the stock esc on 6S Lipo. The car is pretty fast with the 1717, but while running it last weekend in the heat, the motor got fried. I ordered another Castle 1717 with a cooling fan, so I will see how it holds up.

Unfortunately, the maximun motor diameter you can use is about 50mm. There isn't much out there for 1/5 scale with a 50mm diameter. I don't know if anyone knows about the speed passion motor for the baja: I called the company, and they said that the motor is 46 x 91mm, which would fit in the XBE.

"7075 RC" said that he is in the process of making a motor mount for the XBE to accept larger motors, but I'm not sure when this will be out. Leopard Hobby makes some interesting motors, but the diameters are around 56mm; too big for our car.

Anyone have any additional info?

Dirtconvert

Motor

hello, I can only assume you are new to electrics? You need to temp your motor and esc anytime you run with a new set up from stock. You will need to plan on pinion changes from the getgo. Buy two up and two down from stock then install your motor. Temp after running for 5 minutes or less. Should never exceed 160 degrees on the motor and 140 for the esc. If you do, change the pinion. You will need to figure out if up or down, chances are you will do both to get a good idea of what your motor is doing. Also, just like gas you will need to ventilate your body to allow airflow to get to the esc and motor. Check your battery temps as well, should never get more than slightly warm. Over or under gearing is the biggest killer of electronic parts. Having a temp gun, extra pinions in sizes a few teeth bigger and smaller than stock, and a well ventilated body will make sure you can run your car longer and more reliably. check out RCracing.com under gear ratios for a good study of what your car should perform like. I have found this chart to be extremely accurate. Remember that your motors KV rating is a measurement of revolutions per volt. If you run a 6s battery set up, thats 25.2 volts (fully charged lipo-4.2 volts) Multiply 25.2 x 980kv( motor rating) and that will give you your motor RPMs. should show 24,696 rpm. Good luck.

lateralrectus

Dirtconvert: Not new to electric, just new to 1/5 scale electric. My HPI Vorza hasn't given me this kind of trouble, but then again, the stock motor on the Vorza is made for that car. Thanks for the gearing/temp advice. I will check out that website.

BTW, do you know where I can get pinions of different sizes for the Rampage? I think the 1717 has an 8mm shaft. Thanks

Ol' fart

Hold on

In three weeks I'll have the new gear box/motor mount ready. It will hold any motor up to the leopard 5692( no longer than 105MM). It will have gear ratio's from 4.55/1 to 3.0 with stock pinion gears

I have it designed and I'll make the prototype this weekend. I can't make it out of 7075 aluminum( long story) but it will have over size bearings and be completly sealed. pics soon.

Ron E

Contributor
Ol said:
In three weeks I'll have the new gear box/motor mount ready. It will hold any motor up to the leopard 5692( no longer than 105MM). It will have gear ratio's from 4.55/1 to 3.0 with stock pinion gears
I have it designed and I'll make the prototype this weekend. I can't make it out of 7075 aluminum( long story) but it will have over size bearings and be completly sealed. pics soon.
thats just cool, thanks. :D

Obeast44

Banned
Ol said:
Definitely count me in, stripping another 5t down now for $$$ :D

lateralrectus said:
Ol'fart: looking forward to it. Will any mods need to be made to the car?
As far as I know it'll be a drop in mount. So the only mods needed will be something to take the HUGE grin off your face when ya see the power of a 5692.

Ol' fart

If you go with a big diameter motor you will have to cut the plastic side.....things to clear the motor, but it will mount up to the stock holes in the frame. There may be a problem with the drive shaft hitting the ESC but I'll work that out.

Dirtconvert

Lock me in for 1. The stock car is ok, but I guess I have hp on the brain. I need this thing to be scary; and with my driving it already is!!!LOL

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts