• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Worth upgrading wheels on TT?

rezac

What are the lightest wheels out there for the TT? Are the stock ones pretty light? I know rotating mass is the biggest power killer out there. I have the 30.5 kit on its way. I just got the TT last week. Trying to find the best upgrades for it. At the LHS they have this really nice set of forged aluminum wheels I may get but I am not sure how much the stock ones weigh or how much the aftermarket ones weigh. The forged ones are for the FG MT. I may buy the FG MT also but haven't decided yet.

fastlane

Team Driver
I use 4 front baja wheels with hostile at's and it's way better than stock

hamster huey

You wont have much to worry about with a 30.5. It makes enough power to turn TT tires easily. But yes there are lighter tires.

rezac

Thats awesome. I bet that is a lot cheaper. I was thinking about getting the rears from the 5b and running them. I know the 30.5 will be plenty of power to turn any set of tires and wheels I get for it lol.

rezac

WIll it be better to have the wide tires or narrow tires with the 30.5 kit? I installed it and I haven't had time to run it much yet, I got about 20 min on it so far, it responds so much faster already. I can't wait for the snow to go away a bit or to stud these tires!

hamster huey

I think the skinny tires would put less stress on the drivetrain w/30.5 might be better? The wide ones are obviously going to have more traction so in theory put more stress on the drivetrain but maybe its not enough extra stress on the drivetrain to break something?

rezac

Here is what I did with the TT so far. Got the 30.5, steel gears, 29, 31, 25, 25. I got the gears meshed together pretty well today, aluminum diff holder, aluminum knuckles, 5b extended hubs and 5b wheels, side dom pipe. I think that is about it, here it is.

IMAG0002.jpg

/monthly_2010_02/IMAG0002.jpg.3264ef7032d607f95941951b20322bdd.jpg

rezac

Also, I put the 5b wheel extenders on, Integy ones. How are the pins supposed to stay in place? I had one fly out on my today and the rim and tire went rolling away. It was funny but got me thinking about what other people do to keep them on? I ended up having my dad help me with this one. Long story short, we ended up putting a groove in it all the way around and put an o-ring around it. Works well so far.

Obeast44

Banned
Looking good man! Thats one of THE best things about the Rampage, it can accept Baja wheels/tires. Can you get me a link to the Integy axle extenders?

Evildomain

Contributor
I have the Pro-line Desperado wheels with Hostile MX rears all around running a 28.5cc

with no driveline issues yet. They hookup great and don't seem to be hard on my clutch either.

fastlane

Team Driver
rezac said:
Here is what I did with the TT so far. Got the 30.5, steel gears, 29, 31, 25, 25. I got the gears meshed together pretty well today, aluminum diff holder, aluminum knuckles, 5b extended hubs and 5b wheels, side dom pipe. I think that is about it, here it is.
That's a nicely done rig

rezac

i will have to xo some looking around for a link they are integy ones the hobby shop had them in stock. i am getting 2 more later this week i think i saw them on integys website. i was out driving mine and the pin fell out and the wheel assembly went rolling away. i cut a groove in it now and put an o ring around them. the aluminum knuckles should come with shorter bolts but they don't. the aluminum diff holder should come with some sort of spacers to hold it away from the clutch bell, had to make some for that.

rezac

also, thanks for all the compliments guys. i love the desperado wheels. nobody around here had just the wheels in stock. i have the badlands tires. i am not totally sure how well they grip yet, it is icy here, not much grips to ice

rezac

The Integy ones use a pin just like the stock ones. the problem is that there is nothing to keep the pin there. My stock ones are the same way except the rim goes over the pin so it can't move anywhere. Once I get my new ones I will show you the differences.

rezac

Well what other brand makes the extenders? My LHS forgot to order them for me so I reminded him and I got them for a damn good price. So far I have only had the one issue which I fixed now. I had just as many issues with the aluminum upgrades I have to to my TT also.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts