• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

What do I need to know for an 30.5CC upgrade

Wicked

Hey guys.

I know nothing about upgrading engines so this will be my first time... :p

I was looking at the "RACE PORTED 30.5cc Big-Bore Combo Kit 4.25+ HP (w/ 2mm crank)" at DDM and I want to put it on my cy23 that came with the rampage. Now what do I need to know???? tools? clutch spring, should I got up or would that put to much power to the gears??? anything you can tell me will be awesome. I just don't want to get this and then find out I need to order more crap.

Thanks in advance to who replies. Heres the link to the kit.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4843/.f

kryptonite

hey wicked. your going to love that motor, though i always lean towards to o'bros race ported 30.5. pretty much the same.. as far as the spring goes, i would try out the 7500k or the 8k. the stock 6k spring(i.m.o.) is just not enough no matter what its in. CY crank case bearings are rubish. they just don't last long. since you have to split the case, i would get some fasteddy case bearings and seals.(not expensive).. so as far as additional tools? everything is pretty basic and easy. a fresh set of "A" key will help becouse cy loves to use lock-tite. before you split the case, your going to have to pull the flywheel and clutch mount. both are pressed on to the crank shaft. some like to use a puller. i have always managed to get them off using the hardware thats on the motor. you can thread 2 bolts where the flywheel puller would go and carefully push it off with them, just lightly tapping the old crank shaft with a hammer or mallet. and the same goes for the clutch mount. keep a note as to what screws are for the clutch case and the flywheel side. the clutch side is a few mm's longer and easy to mix up. the bearings should come out easy. or you can press them out with a C-clamp, a small socket, and a larger socket(larger then the bearing). and just the oppisate for insalling them straight. its pretty cut and dry and a great time. just don't do what i do. i always install the crank backwards. i get the gasket,case together, clutch cover on and then go to install the flywheel and i see it.. BACKWARDS! (the great thing about being dyslexic.. everything always looks perfetc:D) so the only other thing i can think of is maybe a copper head gaskit? i really don't have any issues with the blue ones, but the white or black ones are not even worth putting in, and you'll notice that once you feel how thin they are. don't forget to retighten the head bolts after the first tank.

this stuff you may allready know, but since you asked:

-the "dot" or "arrow" on the piston faces exhoust.

-piston "C-clips".. use an exacto knife to get them out and in

-make sure the open end of the pistons C-clip is facing up or down.

Wicked

Hey thanks so much.

I have the fly wheel puller and I think all the tools. Sounds like I am not missing anything. I will order a new gasket. The link at the bottom is what I was thinking if getting. Can't find a copper one. I'll also get the bearings and seals. I will post a list tomorrow of that I am going to order so if you don't mind you can take a looky over and make sure all is good.

Can't wait to get some gooooooo in the truck. I drove my Baja tongiht and it felt like a rocket. Haven't driven it in months.

O wait. Dosn't that come with a copper gasket.

forist

Contributor
U have to have a stroker crank with that one don't u ? I like it to its just what i was looking for but i want the stuffed stroker crank.

max 1

Thats The Kit I Bout ,but With .40 The Piston Still Tape The Top Of The Cyl So Check The Sqiush Clearence.

kryptonite

forist said:
U have to have a stroker crank with that one don't u ? .
oops.. ya, must have been too early this morning.. that headkit doesn't come with the 2mm crank.. my bad.
max 1 said:
Thats The Kit I Bout ,but With .40 The Piston Still Tape The Top Of The Cyl So Check The Squish Clearence.
really? are you positive it was the new machined head? and you had a .40 gaskit? sometimes they would knock with the stacked gaskets, but i havent seen(heard) of any machined heads with that issue.

kryptonite

Wicked said:
What is the diff between getting an upgrade or buying a motor??? I mean I know its not going to be bored and everything but it should still be a nice improvement over the stock 23cc I have in there now.
I saw this on the oneil site and was thinking of picking it up.

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rccar/itemdescription/30ccmotor.htm
that is just a basic 30.5. i didnt see if it had a stuffed or non-stuffed crank. the 30.5 has the same exact case as the 23. they just pull the top endo off and replace the crank/piston/head. youll get more for your money if you get a 30.5 top end. considering you all ready have the same exact case in the ramp

this is the ported and machined 30.5 from O'BROS($149 w/2mm stuffed crank)

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rccar/itemdescription/30_kit_mpp.htm

Wicked

I thought the stuffed crank was not good idea??

O yea servos, I want to replace those too.

kryptonite

Wicked said:
I thought the stuffed crank was not good idea??
O yea servos, I want to replace those too.
its not that its not a good idea, its just a preferance. a 28.5 and a 30.5 head is the same(except machining). what gets the 30.5cc is the added 2mm stroke from the crank. with that extra lenght on the stroke comes less rpms. but an emense amount of low end torche. the 2mm crank is machined/balanced. when they do that, it lowers the case pressure cousing less rpm's. thats where the "stuffed" crank comes in. the fill the machined area with some sort of plastic to build up the case pressure, giving some of the lost rpms back(but not all). so a 28.5 with a 2mm stuffed crank is a 30.5. then "zen" 27.2 is really a zenoah 25.4 with a 2mm crank.. so as far as it not being a good idea, its debatable. some like the high revs and get the lower end torque with a pumper carb, lightened flywheel or a reed kit, yet still keeping the higher rpms. some like the high torque and can easly gear up. i have a ported 28.5 in my MT and i could use some more power. so a 30.5 is in order after the servo's.

forist

Contributor
Do they have free shipping at oneillbrothers if not do u know how much it is. I looked and couldn't find shipping for items. thanks

kryptonite

ya, its as redcat says. about $5. for some reason they calculated tax with no shipping in all my orders, then send a second invoice with no tax and $5 shipping

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online