• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Vented gas cap on my XB

sanos

Finally found the fitting for venting the gas tank. Thanks to all you guys for the info.

I used the 10-32 pressure fitting by Du-Bro (see 1st pic) from my local hobby shop. The clear hose was from an aquarium used to pump air bubbles I had laying around the house.

On the cap I used a 5/32" drill bit to drill a hole for the fitting. Then I just used a socket wrench and directly screw in the fitting and make sure to use the washer that came with the fitting. Of course all the innards of the gas cap have to be removed prior to drilling.

Anyway, I wasn't really sure what to put back. But when I was taking the cap innards apart, I managed to break that little round flat rubber thingy that was attached to another plastic piece. That little rubber part that broke off (see 2nd pic) from the round flat rubber piece is the only thing that didn't go back in the cap. That rubber piece that I broke off is probably the one that was blocking the vent hole of the cap.

Looking at the rubber bulb and seeing that pin sized hole, I decided to drill a 3/32" hole to make it breath more. That's it! DONE! (see 3rd pic) :)

The motor ran good with no issues on one full tank of gas. :)

sanos

cordy said:
Glad you got it sorted out.Good job.I would keep an eye on your aquarium hose to make shure it doesn't soften up.
Yeah, and if it does, I still have extras of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motakitty

At first I used aquarium hose and it started getting soft in like 3 days and was looking like it kinked closed so I would switch to fuel hose. Also you might want to get a inline fuel filter to keep crap out of the tank

sanos

Motakitty said:
At first I used aquarium hose and it started getting soft in like 3 days and was looking like it kinked closed so I would switch to fuel hose. Also you might want to get a inline fuel filter to keep crap out of the tank
Yes sir, I will do that. You guys rock this site! :D

Motakitty

Otherwise looks good, looks just like how I did it:D

sanos

UPDATE!!!Okay, I went ditched that air vent tube! I think it's overkill and doesn't need it.Instead I went and used a tire valve stem plastic cap to cover the fitting. (see pic1). It's a perfect fit and has a little clearance between the top hole of the fitting and the ceiling of the plastic cap.I drilled a 2mm hole above half way of the valve stem plastic cap. (see pic2)Then I used them aquarium hoses and had to cut two diff sizes of hoses to fit into the fitting and another over that to fit the plastic cap, sorry these are the only tubing I have available. (see pic3), cut both tubes about half way length of the protruding fitting.(see pic4) this is so you don't block the hole that was drilled on the plastic cap.Put the cap on, check that the hole is not blocked by the hose on the fitting. I positioned the hole of the cap towards the bottom. Done! :) (see pic5)NO NEED TO BE PULLING OFF THAT TUBE WHEN REFUELING!!! :) :cool:

IMAG1711.jpg

IMAG1709.jpg

IMAG1716.jpg

IMAG1717.jpg

IMAG1718.jpg

IMAG1711.jpg

IMAG1709.jpg

IMAG1716.jpg

IMAG1717.jpg

IMAG1718.jpg

/monthly_2013_05/IMAG1711.jpg.c6ae8f1d95e7ad3193a717b173ef479d.jpg

/monthly_2013_05/IMAG1709.jpg.02084c62341960dca8b47ee64226893b.jpg

/monthly_2013_05/IMAG1716.jpg.1af0bb757a8194884e10304bae73c1da.jpg

/monthly_2013_05/IMAG1717.jpg.9623b822573c9d695b0a238509ed0d3a.jpg

/monthly_2013_05/IMAG1718.jpg.c5db362d13207f420383438f864a96c6.jpg

Dreggsta

i like that. it reminds me of the screw type vent cap on my parents riding mower. i have a tube going to my cap w/a fuel filter on the other end. i can remove the cap easily w/the hose on it & it's cool bc it holds the cap while i refuel lol.

G

Looks good. Sometimes less is better.

G

papaw said:
In a roll over won't fuel come out?
If you route the vent tube through the bottom of the chassis, it becomes the highest point when upside down. No fuel spillage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts