• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

upgraded diff cups garbage?

AlphaDog777

so whats the deal... cause i just switched mine... its still apart, so tell me now! lol.. before it goes back together... i was wondering about tempering it as well... from what i understand about steel they harden it by heating it up and then dunking it in cold water then they temper it by heating it again and let it cool naturaly... are these things temperd? has anyone tried to "temper" them? :eek:

C.B.

ive only seen problems with the cups on big bore vehicles if your sticking with th 23 and stock can you should be fine

AlphaDog777

im actually going to an x can with dual stock stingers and an air filter...other wise completely stock... not even going for the 8K clutch springs... I'm hoping the smother engagment will help..

Thanks for the help c.b.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

ZielkeRacing

AlphaDog777 said:
im actually going to an x can with dual stock stingers and an air filter...other wise completely stock... not even going for the 8K clutch springs... I'm hoping the smother engagment will help..
Thanks for the help c.b.
Sounds like a good idea. I may stick with that myself until better cups are make.

str8jailbird

So far the stock cups that I dremeled witht he diamond bit to let the larger pin fit have been holding up fine (thanks again Moo). I am running the modded 28.5 and Sprint77's rear dom. So far over 2 tanks and no failures, that's remarkable for me at the moment. really though, I can have an assembled truck and less than 15 minutes later I can have the rear diff disassembled in my hand. Good for being a quick fix, bad for doing it enough to be able to tear it down that quick:D!

RampageHopUps

Its not as simple as heating them up and letting them cool down. Each metal has thier own hardening technique. To do it right, you need to know exactly what material it is, so you can decide if its an air cool, water cool, or oil cool, and how long of a ramp down in the oven.

mooman007uk

Banned
Yeah I just guessed Rob to see if it would improve any, I'm the same as jailbird the cups I dremelled out to take the bigger pin got pretty hot and as yet the 2 in my truck haven't failed but the others have so thought I'd give it a shot...trial and error I guess, I can't just sit and keep changing them out when they break.

Good thing is you can slip the diffs out with everything in place so it's a quick fix.

Maybe a word in Darins ear....the factory listened before and gave us fatter pins now we need the metallurgy working on. I think with the right tempering the problem could be solved

pipeous

The upgrade one I installed didn't make half a tank on gravel... I dremmeled/drilled out a stock one but never ran it. It sure was a chore to get them drilled out.

I think the best bet now would be to change the outdrive shaft to a larger circumference so there is more meat around the pin. Then change the bearing in the dif case to a larger ID to accomodate.

vatoed

pipeous said:
The upgrade one I installed didn't make half a tank on gravel... I dremmeled/drilled out a stock one but never ran it. It sure was a chore to get them drilled out.
I think the best bet now would be to change the outdrive shaft to a larger circumference so there is more meat around the pin. Then change the bearing in the dif case to a larger ID to accomodate.
I agree, I would'nt mind replacing bearings and all.

pipeous

I traded off my redcat for another fg on road. I'll get another redcat for sure, but once they fix the drivetrain. I want the on road redcat mostly, but am leary about what will happen on tarmac as the traction will increase. sure it's not big mt tires but a warm day will produce some serious traction.

reverse engineering I'll leave to the guys that machine stuff. I can only make so many things with a dremmel hehe. Until then, I have some chassis drilling to do to my bike, and some setup work to do on my semi. my other fg will be here this week.

the redcat is cool if you keep the power down but who can resist dumping a headkit on?

tntjz3

I have yet to order mine, (MT SOON!) so I have not got to see the steel they are made of. I'm thinking pot metal? I'm a machinist (many, many, years) I will make new ones as soon as I have to. I will use A2 tool steel and heat treat. What will be the next weak point in line? Or will this do it? Like I said, I don't have one in hand to see, but I can't wait!

mooman007uk

Banned
I beat the hell out of my truck and the only thing I break now is diff cups...everything else seems to be sorted now...touch wood., most problems with these trucks are easy and cheap to deal with compared to other brands

NEWCARNAGE

Correct me if im wrong but are the cups breaking because the suspension drops in mid air and binds the axle.

speedyd

Banned
the guys at nitro pit/one hobby are considering making some more diff cups from hardened tool steel. shoot them a pm and let them know yu are interested. i did break one of these, but it was due to to much droop. i believe it was moo that pointed this out on my post. thanks moo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts