• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Tires

AlvaSpeed

I have 4 sets of tires/wheels for my TT:

1. stock ones: ok, kind of soft rubber, you can cut a tire kind of easy, wheels look great

2. Hostile MX rears on hpi wheels: better tires, wider than stock, more grip, more durable. Changed to Proline wheels because the HPI could not hold the tires in place. good upgrade on those wheels. the car looks great with those wheels and tires.

3. Hostile MX FRONTS on HPI front wheels: lighter, faster tires I have tried, the car is faster out of the turns and changes "lines" faster also. the car accelerates faster.I tried them yesterday and really liked this setup.

4. Hostile A/T on HPI wheels: not tested them yet.

When I first installed the MX Rears I went like

"now this looks lika a race car" ,

but after a while I thought that maybe these tires have too much grip (they do have it), the car tended to bog a little out of turns, but when I changed the clutch to the Lauterbacher clutch, I was able to dial out that bog and the car performed better than ever.

Not happy with that I got 4 front tires and wheels just to "see" if there was any improvement.

Yesterday I installed the MX fronts (on all 4 corners..) and after the first acceleration I could tell that they made a big difference in performance.

I know that the overall diameter is smaller but the difference in performance was substantial.

The car was faster overall, turn in was better and carried more speed in the turns. The tires spinned a little bit more out of the turns helping the car accelerate much faster.

Just my opinion....next time I will take lap times.

Tomorrow I will weight all 4 different tires/wheels and post the results.

Sucram

After seeing the huirrax wheels, I wanted to try the skinnier front wheels from a baja on all 4.

Im not sure how much weight or reciprocating mass it would reduce but it should be noticable- Now I know.

Hurry up and weigh those wheels!

I already have 4 proline rears's and figured I would wait for a DOD or someone selling HPI front rims to try it but nothing has come up yet.

Can you also test a traditional 2wd set up, with skinnier front? I have a feeling it will push and understeer a lot...

Sucram

I don't think the looks is the problem, I would assume strength!!

Perhaps the 5T rear wheel is a better compromise.... Just thinking out aloud on that one.

kryptonite

Sucram said:
I don't think the looks is the problem, I would assume strength!!
Perhaps the 5T rear wheel is a better compromise.... Just thinking out aloud on that one.
i was thiinking the same thing with the taller profile tires. i wanted to get 4 front badlands but thought they might be too skinny with sidewall roll. maybe 2 rears and 2 fronts for better stearing?

AlvaSpeed

Kryptonite,

This is a 4wd so I don't think that it is a good idea to have different diameter tires front to rear.

If you want better steering you can use extended hubs in the rear and stock Baja hubs on the front (narrower front end).

I tried that. Works great.

kryptonite

is it 4wd? the tire diameter is the same for the badlands. front to rear. the narrow tire will encrease stearing responce.

AlvaSpeed

Krypto,

I know you know that.

I did not know that the front Badlands and rear Badlands have the same overall diameter.

Because the Hostiles are different diameter front to rear.

I put that because I have seen on the internet TT`s with different diameters tires front/rear and with different widths and diameters and when I asked got no replies. And I don't think it is a good idea because the diff´s wont be able to handle different wheel speeds for too long.

AlvaSpeed

Here are the results taken from my nearest grocery`s FIA certified digital scale

Stock TT wheel and tire 1.36 pounds

Stock MT wheel and tire 2.29 pounds

Hostile MX rears on Proline Desperado wheels 1.23 pounds

Hostile MX fronts on HPI baja wheels 1.03 pounds

Hostile AT on HPI Baja wheels 1.36 pounds

The front MX tires` foam may have some moisture because it rainned on sunday. So they may be even lighter.

Pics....later

AlvaSpeed

Photo of all tires

Redcat Tires.jpg

/monthly_2009_08/583c605a05f4f_RedcatTires.jpg.1bf7c826eb702681cd76620625bde84d.jpg

AlvaSpeed

Tires looked vertically

Redcat Tires 2.jpg

/monthly_2009_08/583c605a081e6_RedcatTires2.jpg.45abfcf7f47e6cf17d3b44166131d1da.jpg

Sucram

kryptonite said:
i was thiinking the same thing with the taller profile tires. i wanted to get 4 front badlands but thought they might be too skinny with sidewall roll. maybe 2 rears and 2 fronts for better stearing?
Yeah there is that, plus the front HPI wheels might not take it. Power and side impact that is. From what I have been told, the HPI wheels are lighter then the proline wheels but the proline wheels are stronger. Thats why I was thinking out loud about the 5T rear wheels as they are skinnier and should be beefier then the front HPI wheels.

I cant really comment on the 2 front and 2 rear thoughts your having. Its interesting to contemplate! In the real world car game you can experience power-on understeer as the rear is hooking up and pushing the front. You might only see this on a ramp when your near max rpm and the engine doesn't have enough power to spin up and create a yaw angle.

AlvaSpeed said:
Here are the results taken from my nearest grocery`s FIA certified digital scale
Stock TT wheel and tire 1.36 pounds

Stock MT wheel and tire 2.29 pounds

Hostile MX rears on Proline Desperado wheels 1.23 pounds

Hostile MX fronts on HPI baja wheels 1.03 pounds

Hostile AT on HPI Baja wheels 1.36 pounds

The front MX tires` foam may have some moisture because it rainned on sunday. So they may be even lighter.

Pics....later
Great stuff!

roccos_van said:
Thanks Alva, now how about some pics of them mounted!
lol

AlvaSpeed

Here are photos of the 4 fronts on the car.My car was in pieces that is why I did not post the photos earlier.

Proline fronts.jpg

Proline fronts.jpg2.jpg

/monthly_2009_08/583c605a551c1_Prolinefronts.jpg.4c8b9ff2bc20a396df8efedf4d9dc394.jpg

/monthly_2009_08/583c605a5742e_Prolinefronts.jpg2.jpg.007ad5ab2ac74984a9d08bac9c998306.jpg

Sucram

doesn't look that bad...

Did you get a chance to weigh them dry yet?

kryptonite

ya man. they look good. i bet with hostile hard foams they wont roll as much eather. i need tires for my tt and might try this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts