• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Tire Options...

T3X

Ok so ive come to relaize that the stock dunerunner rear tires are preety shit. I took them out for the second time and they are worn down as hell. Prolly didnt help that i drove on pitch. But still shouldnt be that bad. Anways is there any other tire options for the stock rims? I really like the rims. If not is there anything that looks similar and functions well? Thanks

Also if anyone knows the tires that ol farts using on his xbe build?

Last edited by a moderator:

T3X

Ok can u link me tona set of adaptiors id need. Im preety sure if i get another set of DR tires they will wear out just as fast...

T3X

Can anyone recommend me some good wheels and tires. I plan on running both on grass and on road. Some nice tires with some meat on it would be nice. Most of my running would be on roads though... Suggestions much appreciated.

thanks

Ildy666

IMex k-rocks are a nice balance between the two and pretty inexpensive...i have two sets and they hold up quite well...

T3X

K those both look good. Any other suggestions??

T3X

K ill be sure to check into those. In the mean time anyone else has any suggestions?

BertR

I also run the RC4WD dune reaper rear tires and have been pleased with the way they wear...If you can get them before they are all gone for the 15$ for 2 tires and foams you can't go wrong for the buck.

Ice_2k

Tire Options...

Hi guys, a few questions regarding the DR's tires:

1. Why are the fronts narrower? Shouldn't they all be the same width, being 4wd? Are there any downsides to mounting rears on the front?

2. Is this kit all I need to be able to mount Baja wheels?

3. Are there any tire options that can be mounted on the original DR rims? I really like the design.

4. How are tires such as these mounted on the rims? Are they glued? And if so, how do I get'em off once they're worn out?

5. What is this foam used for, to keep the tire "inflated"? Can these be reused or must I purchase new foam inserts with every set of tires?

6. I understand there's a kit available to make the car wider by making the wheels stand out, anybody got a link for that?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

RampageHopUps

Answers in red

Ice_2k said:
Hi guys, a few questions regarding the DR's tires:1. Why are the fronts narrower? Shouldn't they all be the same width, being 4wd? Are there any downsides to mounting rears on the front? Its for looks. You can run all rears if you want.

2. Is this kit all I need to be able to mount Baja wheels? Yes.

3. Are there any tire options that can be mounted on the original DR rims? I really like the design. No optional tires.

4. How are tires such as these mounted on the rims? Are they glued? And if so, how do I get'em off once they're worn out? They are beadlocks, you take out the 24 screws and replace the tires.

5. What is this foam used for, to keep the tire "inflated"? YES Can these be reused or must I purchase new foam inserts with every set of tires? You can re-use the good one if they don;t flake away.

6. I understand there's a kit available to make the car wider by making the wheels stand out, anybody got a link for that?

DGI Racing is a sponsor here. http://www.dgiracing.com/hpi-baja/

Thanks.

Ice_2k

Regarding the sand tires... am I correct in assuming the right setup for a Dunerunner would involve 4 rears (paddles)? I'm thinking that using the normal front sand tires on the front axle would be a problem, since they will obviously have no grip whatsoever and most of the engine's power would be spent pointlessly spinning those front wheels.

phreerider

running rears on the front gives better float over soft stuff, BUT the width of the tire adds considerable load and stress thru the steering at every point and restricts steer response a fraction. big paddles all the way around would really challenge steering, i'm sure it would work but for how long?

Ice_2k

Do you mean the servo would fail? Or are you talking about the actual linkages?

RampageHopUps

The servo would be under a lot of stress. That causes heat, and the stock servo may not handle it when the solder melts and the circuit is opened.

Phill

Ice_2k said:
Hi guys, a few questions regarding the DR's tires:1. Why are the fronts narrower? Shouldn't they all be the same width, being 4wd? Are there any downsides to mounting rears on the front?

2. Is this kit all I need to be able to mount Baja wheels?

3. Are there any tire options that can be mounted on the original DR rims? I really like the design.

4. How are tires such as these mounted on the rims? Are they glued? And if so, how do I get'em off once they're worn out?

5. What is this foam used for, to keep the tire "inflated"? Can these be reused or must I purchase new foam inserts with every set of tires?

Thanks.
If you measure the stock DR tyres you will find that the fronts are a larger diameter than the rears.See pic below.

Given that the diffs are the same ratio front and rear this causes drag in the drive train resulting in loss of power (speed) and strain on the drive train.

You will need to change to 4 equal sized tyres.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts