• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

the new DuneRunner 4X4

flint mann

Got my Rampage Dunerunner 4X4 Friday evening about 7pm. Un-crated the car did a battery and switch mod, charged the battery, and put on the wheels. All that has to be done is charge and install the battery, mount the wheels, put double A’s in the transmitter, fill it with gas fire it up and run it.. Redcat enlarged the cutout in the front brace to facilitate removal of the radio box cover, a definite plus. On my 2X4 I just left the screw out after a dismal try at doing my own cutout. They have replaced the dogbones with cvd’s so the ear plug mod doesn’t need to be done. The engine comes with the stock TT/MT air cleaner and muffler can with stinger. To facilitate the forward drive shaft the Dunerunner had a modified tank and a carrier bearing. The tank is shallow in the middle so the drive shaft fits over the top going to a carrier bearing that is at an angle in front of the tank. A second drive shaft takes the power from the carrier bearing to the front diff. The rear drive shaft is the same as on the 2X4.

I took it out Saturday morning to take pics and a little running. The radio is basic, 2 channel, but works well, and it’s a 2.4 gig not an FM. It is defiantly not bad for a starter radio. The engine started extremely quick. I left the radio and receiver off when I started it. After priming the bulb, three pulls with the choke on and it sputtered, two pulls later it fired up. I let the car idle for 5 minutes or so, it was a slow smooth idle. After turning on the radio and receiver I blipped the throttle the RPM’s came up well and settled back down nicely. I then went quarter throttle to closed, half throttle to close, and full throttle to close with the same results. It was time to put it on the ground for some preliminary runs. The engine and gears were a little tight but that is to be expected. Filling the tank is not a quick process. The right side doesn’t fill as fast as the left, due to its design, so basically the left half gets full first tip the car to fill the right side then refill the left side. The steering servo is noisy but it does its job, the throttle servo works well.

I took the car to Gladewater Sunday to put it through its paces. Sprint and I drove the DuneRunner. It handled well although a bit under powered due to the stock exhaust can. It was also tight but loosened and was developing more power by the end of the day. We ran on an oval to start then over an off road course. The RedCat handled the corners, jumps, and track irregularities with ease. The stance keeps the car on its wheels I only had it on its top a couple times and those were caused by bad launch off a jump and a pine tree that liked to jump into the path of oncoming RC’s. I bent a shock and broke a right rear turn buckle do to that pine tree.

The things I am going to “upgrade” are the servos to digital, the receiver to the radio that I am running for my other large scales. I am also going to put HPI hubs to run Hostiles. I will also be putting on a tuned pipe, which one I don’t know yet but I’ll probably start with either the HPI tuned pipe or the RDlogics.

Over all a good car for the money

Last edited by a moderator:

flint mann

I just put a hornet on my 4X4. DAMN!!!!!! woke it right up !! The pipe doesn't need to be modded but the rear bumper needs a little changing. Will take pics and vids as soon as the ole lady brings my camera back.

scon160

flint mann Please post those pics with the hornet.Its between the gbe hornet and the cpi big bore.Im leaning towards the hornet.

bbuzzard

Contributor
P1020699.jpg

Got my new beast today...I can say first that this ain't no clone of the Baja but more of an interpretation that is well thought out! I will have more comparison info when I get out!

chadj1980

ya i gotta say i really like this buggy also..I actually just sold one of my 5t's cuz it was just gonna sit on the shelf cuz the dunerunner aint getting a break..I'm suprised at how tuff it has been so far..

bbuzzard

Contributor
chevyderek72 said:
Have you guys had any problems with it yet? Like the guys were getting when they first came out with the rampages?
No problems so far...I changed the pipe to a Baja SS pipe and that made a big improvement! It's running pretty good...not as fast as my Baja yet but there is a difference in engines and gearing...

bbuzzard

Contributor
I tried my best but this beast won't flip with the stock tires...on grass or pavement....and that fine with me!! BTW, I had a funny discussion with a Chinese lady and her child out at the park today. She was really keen on the car and how it was made. Due to our language translation barrier, we just pointed at parts of the car and equate them to my car parked nearby. Well, then she told me in broken English that they don't have those type of cars in China and I laughed! I told her that it was made in China and she kept shaking her head "no"...I told her I had two cars that came from her country but she didn't get it. We had a great non-conversation about the car and she even brought and older lady into the conversation which was funny because I didn't understand a word they were saying but I could tell by their gestures that they were thoroughly impressed with my Dune Runner...I just wanted to share that, carry on... :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.