• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Suspension Set UP

Chief409

The rear suspension of my DR is like a rock, no give. The front is doing all the work.

Any suggestions on how to get the rear working, springs, shock fluid.

Thanks.

G

If its too stiff, don't preload the springs. You might also want to try lighter weight shock oil. Possibly like a 30wt.

Chief409

I have some 30W I'll try. Whats the stock weight, 50?

Any suggestions for different springs which fit the shocks. I'm just looking at dialing in the suspension a bit, not rebuilding it with different shocks, etc. It is pretty good as is, a bit too much bounce on the rear, I came off a double jump, the rear hit the top of the second jump and the buggy cartwheeled back over front when the rear suspension rebounded. A impressive sight! Almost made a 360. ;)

G

If you have a lot of bounce you actually need a heavier oil. The thicker oil slows down the rebound.

No body actually knows what the factory oil weight is. Another problem you might have is the Redcat shocks don't always come full. They might be half empty. I have found a few that way. I run 40wt, seems to be sufficient.

Chief409

Since I'm getting ready to load the DR up to run somewhere where the dust won't clog the air filter and choke the engine before I can run through a tank of gas, I decided to check things like the shocks (no squeak when I pump the suspension), and reduced the preload on the rear to 15mm. Any less and the back is squatting. So, we'll see what we see.

Chief409

Now that there is some low end power, it was time to load up and go to my Big Playground. Jumps, some hills to climb, long stretches of fast running. And very little flour dust to plug the air filter. I "think" I could run two tanks of gas without having to change the filter, but I wanted to get back to watch the NASCAR race.

View from the fun jump, hit the sides and it's any one's guess what will happen. The Big Climb in the distance.

A view from the top of the Big Climb, other climbs to the left. I was in the air, down the other side, back up, more air, on these, fun.

Why I call this the fun jump, bikes are constantly rearranging it. I landed ON the little bush once today. Fair drop headed that direction, to much speed and WOW!

LOVE THE TRENCHERS! The DR gets air at the top of all the climbs, even the Big Climb, just need a little longer run at it. No double jumps here, but setting the preload on the rear at 15mm made a difference on landings, still some bounce, so I'll try the recommended 40w fluid in the rear shocks.

Now I have a buggy that runs like I expected it to. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Chief409

I've run nitro trucks here for a while, and today was first time I ever heard the tires "thud" landing off the Fun Jump!

The DR flys nicely. I was suprised a 30# long wheel base buggy did so well. I think the taller 5T wheels and Trenchers helped there.

OBTW, JOHNSON WINS TEXAS!

Chief409

And DR's are tough. On the Fun Jump I got wide two or three times. The DR looked like a Bandit, corkscrew twist off the launch, landing on one front tire, flipping two or thee times.

NO DAMAGE! BIG TOUGH BUGGY! From a 6' drop. Can't complain about that.

Chief409

RCDAD said:
That's a great spot.
I'm trying to get the 5B guy I know to run here. But..., he lives down towards LA. Around 70 miles away.

It's off of the Dawn Road exit on CA14, between Mojave and Rosamond. Go west around one mile. All open, the nearest house is at least 2 miles away. If you live in the area, Come on out!

alfred e numan

Chief409 said:
Since I'm getting ready to load the DR up to run somewhere where the dust won't clog the air filter and choke the engine before I can run through a tank of gas, I decided to check things like the shocks (no squeak when I pump the suspension), and reduced the preload on the rear to 15mm. Any less and the back is squatting. So, we'll see what we see.
Nice spot to run the cars. As for dust- Its really rough on main seals. most times the clutch side is the first to leak- yea, if you do not see any leaks in the usual places - head-intake- and the tune changes, theres a good chance the lips on the seal are sucking air- just saying. Have fun in the desert this winter!

Chief409

Weather guessers say we have a 80% chance of no rain towards the end of the week. I hope they're wrong, wash the 1:1 truck right now and the next morning it looks like it hasn't been touched. The red tiles on the roof are turning tan. Locally we haven't had any rain since around March, the monsoon storms dumped 5 to 10 miles away, all around us this year. I've been rinsing, using a spray, then using the air compressor to dry out all my RC cars this year, then a brush, but I've still replaced a bunch of bearings. More then normal. Flour dust is brutal.

G

Chief409 said:
And DR's are tough. On the Fun Jump I got wide two or three times. The DR looked like a Bandit, corkscrew twist off the launch, landing on one front tire, flipping two or thee times.NO DAMAGE! BIG TOUGH BUGGY! From a 6' drop. Can't complain about that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts