• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Stock gears melting...

Loud72

I ran DR V3 4x4 on Monday for the first time on dirt. It was also my first run post break-in and using my new CPI Tuned Pipe. In less than 20 minutes of start stop running seperated by some tuning I melted the stock white plastic gears. :eek: I replaced them yesterday and vented the gear case with two square holes in front of the a and bc gears. Tonight I went back out to test my new vented covers and again within 20 minutes of hard back and forth running the car revved up and stopped. I removed the gear cover and now the c and d gears were fully melted. Half of the A and B gears were starting to melt and the other half was fine. It seems like the black cover/nerf bar/whatever is blocking air flow. Do you guys think that it could use a hole cut in it or maybe a scoop made out of it with a mesh to block debris?

So in light of all this plastic gear melting I think I'm going to get a set of steel gears and make some more venting modifications and see if it holds up better to the heat.

Regards,

Loud72

krashkrieg

Contributor
Ugggh....between you and lightning73, I'm sure the V3 white gears are just as much worthless as the Black V2/1 ones....I just ordered a set of white 29/31 to check it out, now i'm thinkin' wasted $ and I just need to get a full set of steel... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Rob should let the factory know the white gears aren't much of an improvement....but I'm sure steel would raise the bottom line retail.

Loud72

I know I didn't do a good enough job with the venting. I was basing the look on what I searched for last night. I plan on enhancing it with more venting and venting the side nerf bar/cover to direct air flow into and out of the gear cover which should do the trick in keeping the steel gears cool...Loud72

Gear Cover.jpg

/monthly_2010_06/583c605de4606_GearCover.jpg.9d264390f7d9b2640b558dbb464f6ef1.jpg

hamster huey

I run no cover and can get gallons on them. I acutally wear them out. They don't fail at all. BUT there are some conditions where people cant run open gears. I consider myself lucky to not have to deal with that! :)

max 1

i cut half the bottm of the cover of works well ,i run i the grass .they seem to stay cool.

pipeous

I melted my 26/24 gears on the rally yesterday. that was because the setscrew on the brake disc shaft came loose a bit. I had the cover vented but took it off after I replaced all the gears with the kit spare set. no problems after that... going to red loktite those setscrews now.

lightning73

pipeous said:
I melted my 26/24 gears on the rally yesterday. that was because the setscrew on the brake disc shaft came loose a bit. I had the cover vented but took it off after I replaced all the gears with the kit spare set. no problems after that... going to red loktite those setscrews now.
I just had that set screw problem about a month ago for the first time. So I re-adjusted them and used blue loctite to keep them in place, since doing so I have probably only run two tanks on the truck and I noticed last week they turned themselves in again causing me to unknowingly run with the brakes partially engaged. The result of this caused my two steel 25 tooth c and d gears to almost wear out. I used a boatload of loctite this time im hopin it holds, the fear I have is the loctite isnt working due to the plastic threads on the stock diff mounts. If it doesn't work this time im getting the aluminum diff mounts and then I will use the red loctite as well..... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

lightning73

0rEz said:
Any new tips on the venting part? And where to buy metal gears?
Welcome to the forum OrEz! As far as the venting goes to really do it right you need to cut out a large portion of the outside of the gear cover in a figure 8 pattern and replace that piece you cut out with a very fine but sturdy wire mesh. The steel gears can be bought from any one of the distributors at the top left of the page as long as their in stock of course...... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DanSpd

Here is how brake problem was fixed in my tt.

Buy an aluminum tube with hole so brake pins (that hold two metal plates) can fit in.

Then cut two 1/8" and put those on, on the side to the aluminum.

Just see pictures

0rEz

lightning73 said:
Welcome to the forum OrEz! As far as the venting goes to really do it right you need to cut out a large portion of the outside of the gear cover in a figure 8 pattern and replace that piece you cut out with a very fine but sturdy wire mesh. The steel gears can be bought from any one of the distributors at the top left of the page as long as their in stock of course...... :)
Thank you very much!

Is it the same gears on all redcat, or is it diffrent on each model? And does the steel gears differ on v1/v2 and v3?

rob64n

Contributor
redcat gears all fit the same and what you can do with the set screws in diff mount put in the next size bigger and use the set srew to cut new threads may have to upsize the hole just a lil but not alot you want the set screw to fit snugg that way it won't back off or in this case screw in and lock brakes have already changed one v3 it's pretty easy to do

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts