• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Steering update

bigfol

Obeast44 said:
What I was thinking of trying, if room permits, is using two of them. Take the top of one and the bottom of the other and bolt it to the servo horn. Then take the bottom/top that is left and mount it onto the steering post. If both shocks have similar spring weights the shafts should settle out at mid compression. That should give enough bound/rebound to be an effective saver. The elcon version is a little complicated to explain. Just consider it like a double horizontally opposed shock.
Ok I see where your coming from, that may just work if and its a big "IF" it will fit in where we need it too.....How do you add the air and retain it inside those shocks? Do they have a one valve? I suppose to keep things simple you could just use a heavy weighted oil....... Would the elcon version be to long?

strodedawg

what about this, i think it would be easy to make.

my awesome description should make it easy to know what i am talking about.

remember those tamiya three piece servo saver:

piece 1 was the horn on the servo with a central ridge keyed to the ring

piece two was a thick horseshoe or circular piece with a groove used as the tension

piece three was the actual servo horn keyed to the ring

can machine different thicknesses of rings to control the tension and keep a rigid link between the servo arm and the bellcrank

krashkrieg

Contributor
I used one of the Kimbrough's on my Losi 8T Electric conversion few years back, they work great.

Obeast44

Banned
strodedawg said:
ordered the servo saver above and it will not fit large scale servos only standard. i also emailed kimbrough and they do not carry anything that would work in the 5th scale world.
Damn that sucks.

Ol' fart

Ya it does.

I really like the idea of the servo arm/saver 'cause the shock works good but it's way too expensive to buy and modify or make from scratch. Doesn't the gas car have a shaft for the brakes or throttle that has a spring on both sides of a coller? Could rig up something like that and it would be easy to adjust and cheap to make too.

bigfol

Ol said:
I really like the idea of the servo arm/saver 'cause the shock works good but it's way too expensive to buy and modify or make from scratch. Doesn't the gas car have a shaft for the brakes or throttle that has a spring on both sides of a coller? Could rig up something like that and it would be easy to adjust and cheap to make too.
How hard would it be to knock up something like the kimbrough version? Without breaching "copyright" of course..... ;)

xscrick

Banned
why don't u just make them similar to the losi 5ive t ones,, they are similar to stock redcat,, just larger,, and then use similar jamnuts like the ones fast eddy makes with a bearing supported alloy steering link,, or link could be adjustable

xscrick

Banned
why not just make some good quality allow steering parts with a alloy bearing supported steering link than,,, would have to be better than a piece of wire,,,,,,,,, and include bearings for use on the steering posts vs stock brass bushings,, and with the new tie rods becoming available from IRP,,, should be a relatively bulletproof setup

G

xscrick said:
why don't u just make them similar to the losi 5ive t ones,, they are similar to stock redcat,, just larger,, and then use similar jamnuts like the ones fast eddy makes with a bearing supported alloy steering link,, or link could be adjustable
I think you mean the team chase steering link. ;)

bigfol

Its been done allready, if I don't say so myself.....lol

xscrick

Banned
losi 5 has the mounts for the steering arm offset to one side so u can mount and bolt with nut on them,, and the tie rods mount slightly ahead,, stock redcat,, u would have to mount the arm to where u mount the tie rods,, which i have seen done on here,,,just seems if u had a similar arm steering set up to the losi 5ive t, but fit stock redcat servo saver and include the bearings,, would be a decent setup,, and once u use the IRP v2 tie rods,, most issues would be fixed,,,,

strodedawg

you can also run the losi 5t links, that is my set-up at the moment. 7075rc steering rack is solid, only problem is finding the servo saver.

i have a hpi 5b and losi 5t steering rack at my lhs that they are letting me borrow for comparisons to the redcat also.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts