• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Steering servo keeps burning

ipsagel

Hello guys!

Anybody has an idea what went wrong with my Rampage why my steering servo keeps on burning? The first servo that burned was the stock one when I was running about half tank of fuel during my first ran of the truck out from the box. I replaced it with Hitec HS-5745MG, and using the Aggressor radio. Today I'm suppose to run my rig for the 3rd time since I put the 5745 servo. While preparing it to go, I always check the throttle fail safe if it's still working, turned the transmiter off and on. Just notice a bad smell and a smoke coming out from the servo. My steering linkage is not tight, but I notice every time I turned the transmiter off the servos went crazy and tend to glitch. I owned a few nitro RC's but I didn't notice this servo behavior when I turned my transmiter off.

kryptonite

you should carefully check you end point adjustments. they are very important with the larger tires. and are you running 6v straight to your servo(splitter) anything more then 6v may fry the servo. i can see the first crappy servo going out pretty quick. also that servo @4.8v is only 208oz but is a high speed servo. my 320oz servo is barely enough to move the heavy tires. if you are gona run a smaller servo make sure your servo saver is set at the losest postion for less strain

ipsagel

My end point adjustment was just a little bit close to max, and I'm using a HPI 6v battery pack. My servo saver is on the default setting from the manufacturer, I didn't loosen nor tighten it. By the way, what's the right end point adjustments? and why my servos are glitching when I turned my transmiter to off and sometimes even when it's in the on mode?

mooman007uk

Banned
As kryp says EPA is a critical , incorrect adjustment will fry any servo, that and too much voltage are probably the biggest cause of servo cook ups. I did a bad once speed charging my rx pack at 2+ amps....forgot to unplug it from the rx and the switch was still on....cooked 2 $150 jr servos real fast...d'oh

Are you using the redcat failsafe, a few peeps have had problems with them being somewhat erratic.

To set epa get your truck on a stand and turn the wheels, your servo wants to stop at the maximum steering point so that it's not trying to turn the wheels more than they will allow, adjust it on the tx, the servo shouldn't make any noise when you get it at the correct setting

Last edited by a moderator:

Clubin

Banned
Somthing is not rite. Check the wiring, make sure the black goes to black and red to red, Change the stock on/off switch too they are crap.

ipsagel

I'm charging my rx pack at 2amps, and I'm using a futaba fail safe. I'm just wondering because once I use my Traxxas TQ tx and rx for my T-max with the rampage to make a comparison if there's something wrong with the aggressor. The servos were working good and the glitching was gone even if I turn the tx to off. Anyway thanks a lot guys for those informative ideas you shared to me. Hope I will never be taking $$ from my pocket just for this trouble alone.

Gas Jocky

Just like Moo says, the included failsafe from redcat is not a reliable one, replace it with a brand name one or better yet buy a pico ignition kill switch failsafe. Hitec radios are good radios but they do have a uncommon tendency to go nuts when they have no signal from the TX. I had a Hitec in the past and I remedied the loss off signal glitch by using 2 failsafes, one on the throttle and another one on the steering. Dead batteries or loss of signal the steering servo doesn't go crazy, it will go to a preset failsafe position just like your throttle servo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts