• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Steering linkage question

Boomkidd

So, I'm running a non-Pro MT w/ lots of upgrades. I also run 1 servo as 2 just draw too much juice too quickly and I don't require 2 servos. Just one HiTec is fine by me. But being that's said, the plastic steering linkage has play- always has. I am wondering if I buy the single servo aluminum steering linkage, will it take that play away? The play was sort of taken up by the 2nd servo I believe. I don't have any issues running, it's just bothering me that there's play when I know there really shouldn't be.

Deluge

The play could be in a few places. The ball links could be worn or the servo saver could be a bit loose. My MT always had a bit of play in it, though. Have you tried to wiggle the steering linkage back and forth to see if that's where the play is? Could also be in the tie rods.

Boomkidd

The play could be in a few places. The ball links could be worn or the servo saver could be a bit loose. My MT always had a bit of play in it, though. Have you tried to wiggle the steering linkage back and forth to see if that's where the play is? Could also be in the tie rods.
The play has been there from day one. It isnt there w/ 2 servos installed, but I don't run 2- don't want to. The link that connects the left and right together is where the play is. If I tighten all the way, it binds up and wont move. There has to be a little play in order to move (by poor design I guess- then again I have the dual servo steering linkage and run 1 servo.) Does the single servo linkage have this same play in the same spot anyone know?

G-Man

The play has been there from day one. It isnt there w/ 2 servos installed, but I don't run 2- don't want to. The link that connects the left and right together is where the play is. If I tighten all the way, it binds up and wont move. There has to be a little play in order to move (by poor design I guess- then again I have the dual servo steering linkage and run 1 servo.) Does the single servo linkage have this same play in the same spot anyone know?
I have play in the same exact spot. I got an aluminum dual saver and still play there. Gets worse in time also. I am getting a single saver to try but the link is still the same, connecting the left and right wheels together. I've never really noticed any performance loss with the play. Just annoying.

Boomkidd

Gotcha, thanks you guys! I ordered the aluminum single servo linkage as mine is the dual and is plastic. What I'm thinking it get 2 balls for ball links and put the other link not being used for the 2nd steering servo instead of what they give you. That would work and in theory take all that slop away. I'll keep this post posted if / when I do the ball link idea. Its not like it doesn't drive ok, like it was said above me, its annoying.

designed2survive

Sorry to say but the play is everywhere, in all of the steering components, from the wheel hub all the way to the servo linkage. Just a redcat thing. You can chase it and fix as you go but you will end replacing each component if you can find a better replacement available.

Just learn to ignore, it still works!

Boomkidd

Sorry to say but the play is everywhere, in all of the steering components, from the wheel hub all the way to the servo linkage. Just a redcat thing. You can chase it and fix as you go but you will end replacing each component if you can find a better replacement available.

Just learn to ignore, it still works!
I'm quite aware. The play where I described above is significant vs anywhere else as it always has been. At this time, I am looking to get the play out from where I described above.

designed2survive

I'm quite aware. The play where I described above is significant vs anywhere else as it always has been. At this time, I am looking to get the play out from where I described above.

Cool! Keep us posted!

Boomkidd

So, I got the aluminum linkage and was a little surprised to see there is almost no left/right play at all in this linkage. It is indeed a combo of play everywhere so, no point in doing anything as I described above (designed2survive is 100% correct.) Knowing me, everything will eventually be upgraded to aluminum. Will that help or is it just there for good?

douglas r

hey on the play, yes i added a dual steering servo to a rampage xt i was building from parts I used a dual aluminum servo saver i got for 19.99, I notice play where the servo saver slid onto the buffer posts, I made 4 washers that acted like shims to make the buffer post the same size as the inside diameter of the servo savers, i have no play in my steering as single or dual servo, find washers close to size of servo inside diamenter grind to be tight fit, then remove washer and make inside diameter a tight fit on buffer post, install on top and bottom of servo saver to remove all slop, let me know if you need a picture
my Question is can 2 reciever batterys be linked with a splitter ??? and not smoked the reciever ?

douglas r

Here's pictures , its the only thing I've found that removes the play, patent pending #16543876900901 rampagefix

saver.jpg

saver.jpg

saver.jpg

saver1.jpg

douglas r

@douglas r The reason why you had a play in your steering post is because you didn't use the "XB/XT" steering parts. You used MT parts.
thats good to know, im not changing it because it all works very smooth and it play free, i did alter the reciever box to clear center drive and resealed it with plastic epoxi, this has given me alot of free space, actually enough to add a second reciever bbattery, do you know if this can be done with a splitter ?? also where does the fail safe connect ?

designed2survive

thats good to know, im not changing it because it all works very smooth and it play free, i did alter the reciever box to clear center drive and resealed it with plastic epoxi, this has given me alot of free space, actually enough to add a second reciever bbattery, do you know if this can be done with a splitter ?? also where does the fail safe connect ?

@douglas r To keep the voltage the same as with a single battery and not fry your electronics, you will need to connect both negative wires together and both positive ones together.

douglas r

i believe thats the same spliter that the dual servo needed, Awesome,,, I just drove Rampage XT for the first time after a full tank of low RPM breakin, I adjusted the carb but it doest seem to be going into 1st gear, are you familiar with the GNC 2 speed trannys, It seem sluggesh on the linebut hauls ass soon after, I was jumping the street crossing the road and clipped the front tire of my motorhome, YA i need parts LOL right lower control arm didnt stand a chance, I just cleaned it and will evaluate the damage after blowing it dry,, Pretty Fun , Thanks for all your Advice, What type of after market front lower arm do you recomend ?? Thanks Doug

designed2survive

@douglas r Unfortjnately I'm not familiar with the GNC 2 speed transmission.

As for control arm, when I was interested in aluminum ones I made my own. Then I replaced them soon after with the stock ones. Been good since. Of course, I'm lucky that the last time I hit anything was with my traxxas t-max 2.5 back in 2007.

However I would suggest 7075rc based on the type of aluminum it's made out of (T6-7075). It's stronger than T6-6061 which is commonly regarded as the high standard for our application (RC).

That beind said, strengthening one major part means something else in the chain has to break during high impact. Something to think about.

douglas r

thanks for input,,, I ordered a aluminum set for top and plastic set for the bottom, Sorry its a CNC 2 speed tranny, i found a loose screw and 2 missing after the crash in the main drive here now loctited ,
I was gonna ask what ur thoughts are on 6S and 8S X-Maxx is it better to buy 8S or convert 6S to 8s ?
am i correct in thinking 6S is 2 3s batterys ? 8S is 2 4s batterys ?

designed2survive

I was gonna ask what ur thoughts are on 6S and 8S X-Maxx is it better to buy 8S or convert 6S to 8s ?
am i correct in thinking 6S is 2 3s batterys ? 8S is 2 4s batterys ?

Unfortunately I've never owned an electric 1/5 scale. Thinking about it though, kinda want to experience with one.

douglas r

well i havnt owned an electric in many years, I just met a guy on ebay that has as many 1/5th scale electric cars like 30
- 5th scale electric, im the owner of 35 nitros 8th scale aND HEADING TOWARDS x-maxx 8s 12500 LIPOS, I UNDERSTAND THERE IS NOTHING THAT COMPARES TO THESE MONSTERS, AT ONLY 19 #S WITH 2 TIMES THE TORGUE AND A RUN TIME OF 45 MINUTES per charge depending on ther batterys you choose, im INTERESTED, iM SURE YOUR ON THE SAME PAGE AT 50 TO 65 MPH PLUS UNLIMITED TORQUE,,,, man im in,,, Let me kno2w if you want to chat with a full time X-maxx 8s lipo guy , ill hook u up just for info,,,,, Thanks Doug

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.