• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Spark plug tuning 8-9-12

G

Sorry....don't cry. desismileys_4529.gif

I couldn't resist. LOL

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
It's pretty high up Deluge.... but you know... when the car moves... the fuel goes back and forth. Its gotten to where it spits all over my rear differential housing and exhaust.... I have to clean it.... So I install a longer line and pull it all the way to the rear :D
Very true.

ChuenouXiao

Guys base on my needle setting, if my plug keeps on fowling (even though my XB runs and sound great!) Does that mean I have to lean my LSN and idle a bit? You're thoughts? The reason I ask is because the other day I cold start my engine and let it idle before I run (note the needle setting I use is perfect). It idled for about 3 min and then it died on me when I was about to run it. I couldn't get it to start... although it was popping like it wants to start but doesn't.... Your thoughts? Was thinking the plug is about to fowl...?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoffeeRedCat

i personally don't tune by the spark plug any more! ive been told by my nieghbor who owns a landscapping company don't tune by plug!! tune by sound..the reason is because of fuel and oil mix and the type of oil! you may just need to adjust your needle settings...i had the same problem today to where my XT wont start because of a bad tune plus it was cold out! does your plug feel wet?? plus plug tunning is only good for one hard pass..kinda like NHRA tunning

ChuenouXiao

GoffeeRedCat said:
i personally don't tune by the spark plug any more! ive been told by my nieghbor who owns a landscapping company don't tune by plug!! tune by sound..the reason is because of fuel and oil mix and the type of oil! you may just need to adjust your needle settings...i had the same problem today to where my XT wont start because of a bad tune plus it was cold out! does your plug feel wet?? plus plug tunning is only good for one hard pass..kinda like NHRA tunning
Never had the chance to verify what the problem really was... but it sounds like either its a bad plug or a plug that's about to fowl or my LSN is too rich? But how can my LSN needle be too rich when I accelerate on a dead stop and my tires peels out like crazy :D ? Beside my LSN was tuned base on sound of idle and acceleration torque....

Deluge

Lean out the LSN a bit and see what it does. You can test for a fouled plug. Pull it out, plug it into the wire, hold it against the cylinder and yank the pull start. If you get a strong spark, it's fine. If you get a weak spark, or no spark at all, it needs to be replaced.

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
Lean out the LSN a bit and see what it does. You can test for a fouled plug. Pull it out, plug it into the wire, hold it against the cylinder and yank the pull start. If you get a strong spark, it's fine. If you get a weak spark, or no spark at all, it needs to be replaced.
So I installed a new plug and it fired up and hold idle very well (no matter how I lean or rich the LSN).I wonder what is contributing to my plug going bad? Running to rich? I'm sure I wasn't running too rich..... Aren't plug suppose to last longer? What are the life expectancy of these plug if tuned properly?

LOL... I tested the brand new plug on the head and yanked the pull start, no spark too... maybe I'm not doing it correctly but like I said... it holds tune very good since its a brand new plug so oh well :D I also tested the old plug and got not spark too so I don't know what to tell you. It's not the first time I've done spark plug test on head and this time I just didn't see any spark. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or I should do it with no fuel in engine?

Well.... just as long as its holding idle now :D

Deluge

If it's tuned properly, the plug will last quite a while. Doesn't matter if there's fuel in the engine when you do the spark test. You're just grounding the plug on the cylinder so it'll fire when you pull the pull start.

Yep, as long as it works.

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
If it's tuned properly, the plug will last quite a while. Doesn't matter if there's fuel in the engine when you do the spark test. You're just grounding the plug on the cylinder so it'll fire when you pull the pull start.Yep, as long as it works.
Thanks a million bud... as always you are the best.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts