• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

so much for saving money on cy engines...crap

RcLovin

I got the 29 cc head kit engine at ddm and that 2 bolt topend design is terrible I

ran it for 3 tanks and the bolts failed... replaced all the bolts even the 4 head-bolts...broke again around 3 tanks later :mad: I knew I should of got the 4 bolt Zenoah design. I like the rampage MT it isn't perfect but I seemed to be getting the bugs out. but that engine is a nightmare. I thought it was cheap bolts but thats not the case.

fastlane

Team Driver
obeast is probibly talkin about how it's bolted to the chassis. If you have it in a bind it will cause head bolts to have unwanted stress. Binding is what caused my head bolt to snap in my block. Now I use titainium bolts but really don't have to. That cy is a good engine.

Obeast44

Banned
Sorry, I didnt elaborate more earlier. Had to get the kiddies off to school. :)

The sidepipe if not mounted correctly could be putting undue stress on the headbolts by transferring chassis flex/twist through the pipe to the exhaust bolts then to the head bolts. Wow run on sentence there!

Ive never had problems with any CY engines besides the billet head kit versions( I wont go there). Just double check all the pipe mounts, get some good quality headbolts and give it another go. Wish I could be more of a help :)

Sprint 77

Contributor
The Rampage suffers from bad chassis flex . This does stress the head bolts when exhaust is tied to chassis to tight. On my Dom conversion people should run a bolt and a nylock that is not torqued down just have a thread or two out of the nylock. Maybe a piece of rubber or a small spring to isolate vibration on the side dom chassis mount.

Bracing to chassis helps this and many more drivetrain issues with the Ramp.

I have some posts of my bracing and many others do too.

Hope this helps you all

DemonRC

Mount the pipe to the engine only and check to see if the pipe mount holes are lining up with the chassis mounting holes correctly. My pipe mounts float about 3/16" aove the pipe mounts. Just enough to get the rubber bushings in. Also, my bolts drop right in.

RcLovin

I have the billet head kit version and when I mounted my pipe I was real careful on alignment when installing the pipe...but I can check it again by just tightening just the exhaust header bolts like you guys suggested and seeing the alignment.

I do have rubber spacers on my pipe body mounts installed and when I installed the screws I tightened until the rubber spacers squished very slightly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts