• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Shock oil weight preference and shock rebuild kit?

G

To date there is not parts available for the x series shocks.

rampage idiot

I use 40w, redcat makes 2 kits one is all the rubbers and o-rings and they make a plastic parts kit it is all the small plastic pieces on the shock, if you need shock shafts they sell them also, ask me how I no all this HAHA LOL because I destroy alot of shocks

G

rampage idiot said:
I use 40w, redcat makes 2 kits one is all the rubbers and o-rings and they make a plastic parts kit it is all the small plastic pieces on the shock, if you need shock shafts they sell them also, ask me how I no all this HAHA LOL because I destroy alot of shocks
The MT shocks are different then the Xseries.

rev9fan1

So rcdad is saying u have to buy the shocks whole...

rev9fan1

Just be careful my brother has an hpi Baja and he put some kind of weight oil in his shocks and It cracked the shock tower in half when he went off a sizable jump, but I would think ours is fine case the shock tower is reinforced with metal....but who knows what else could break

G

GoffeeRedCat said:
thats what im thinking!! but ill buy new shocks...but im going to replace the shock oil to either 40 or 46.5 weight!!
Some people install the MT shocks on their Xseries platforms because there are parts available for rebuilding.

G

GoffeeRedCat said:
Are they drop ins?? I thought the MT shocks were a tad longer?
If you get the regular MT shocks you can swap the top ball end with yours making them a straight drop in. It's ok that they are a tad longer. You don't have to worry about over extending them.

G

I run 40wt in the trucks and just changed to 50wt in the XBE Rally. I have limited travel and might go even firmer. I just need some time behind the TX first.

Deansta

How do you know when it's time to rebuild the shocks? I'm new to this but hey we all start somewhere. :) Another silly qustion. In regards to the oil wt. the higher the wt the thicker the oil? I need a link that explains all this if any one knows please post or explain briefly. Man you guys are a lot of help. Thanks!

Deluge

You can tell when it's time for a rebuild by checking the rebound. Take the springs off the shocks and push the shaft in, if it doesn't try to push itself back out, it's time for a rebuild.

And yes, the higher the number, the thicker the fluid.

G

Also....Sometimes the shocks make it out of the factory only partially filled with fluid. They may seem worn but might be just lacking enough fluid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.