• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

shelding gas

alfred e numan

Went to Norco yesterday- sprang for a 80 cf bottle of Norgas # 10. 98% Argon-2% Oxygen.- 22 gauge sheet steel- pull the trigger on the gun- hold it- set the ball on the flo-meter to 10 cfh , no bacon sound- just a low hiss- hardly any fumes- the arc is a lot more stable than the carbon dioxide-argon mix-Norgas claims the #10 mix can be used on stainless steel also. will get a 2lb roll of ss wire in a few days and see-- Yea, the mig has no stepped transformer- varable pot instead- its happy place on voltage was 3- gotta wonder just how thin of steel i can get away with- -

Sprint 77

Contributor
The problem with MIG welding pies for 2 strokes if that is your plan. You get little bb and wire stalagtites and wire trash inside the pipe. So it then kbt 2stroke design gets sucked up into the combustion chamber. MIG on two stroke or near a turbo exhaust is a bad thing. To answer your question on ss MIG. You can get by with a series of spot welder right behind the next to weld thin ss sheetmetal. Try to.get the thinnest diameter wire available maybe .023". Hope that helps .

Sprint 77

Contributor
That gas should be ok for stainless. Welding stainless with a MIG will sound different than carbon steel. Best thing you can do is get you some scrap material and try changing the gun face angle and distance away from material. You should be fine bumping gas flow to 15cfm and holding a inch to inch and half away to get the heat down for then material.

alfred e numan

For the time being, I am just trying to learn the ropes. There are several sites on line with a great wealth of information - the British have a real good site. Got into a site about the problems Some of the American auto builders were-and still are having with the Panasonic robot welders. Nasty looking welds!- The unsung heros are the men reworking welds at the end of the line. Yes, i am running Lincolin L-56. 0.23" Made in Mexico, how bout that? Esab seems to have quite a few more types of wire- more $$ though. I am trying to learn new skills- Have 2 sets of O2 Acetelene torches- single stage regulators Torch handle flashback arrestors. I am just thinking that the more skills i can master- the better off i will be down the road. Thanks for the tips!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts