• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Servo Started Smoking...

noyb98098

Well-

I just got my new Nomadio remote and it was working great! Much better than the Spektrum 3.0 and picked up another throttle servo. I just took them both out and the car was handling great, only problem was the HPI Baja steering servo http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.224/.f started smoking! This is my third steering servo and my third throttle servo. The only thing I can think of is the battery pack, I replaced the on/off switch to accomodate this http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.3434/.f .. Could the battery be bad????

Thanks-

jaysyourhandyman

smoken servoi had the same problemthe stock servo wasnt strong eitherwell if you consider i like to play on the street, and i expect a dry turni put duel futaba servo /w duel servo savers ...over 665 oz-in of torque :cool:now even at full throttle and full speed turning is no problemnow im going for the 28.5 from rampage hopups:D... well long story short towerhobbie has one never had fry its the "ts-80"/w343 ozin or made by futaba or the futaba survo "s3306" /w 333ozin torquethe futaba is the best i thinkhere is a pic of my duel steering set up

101_2049mail.jpg

/monthly_2008_11/101_2049mail.jpg.f46fa8c0c35f70c10991c77ba6a59f6e.jpg

kun114

What mode are you using the radio in?

You don't want to run standard servos in a digital mode.

noyb98098

I selected that on the remote- anything else I should check? I'm going to purchase the Futaba, hopefully it'll be ok. But just to be sure, should I get another battery pack?

emu67

Glad to hear you got your Nomadio. I would check the steering assembly. On mine, I noticed that the bushings on the steering assembly were a bit too small and so there was a lot of force required to turn the wheels. Maybe that is what is stalling your servo and causing it to smoke.

Did you check the voltage reading on the Nomadio for your receiver battery? Does it go way down when you turn the wheels...like from 6.8 volts to 6.3 volts? If that's the case, then the steering servo is under a heavy load and might confirm your steering assembly needs to get loosened up a bit.

I fixed my by taking out the bushing and running an appropriately sized drill bit through it by hand. That freed it up nice.

Oh, what about your servo end points? If you haven't set those correctly, you're stalling the servo at the ends and it's goining to draw a lot of current that way. If you hear a "chattering" when you take the wheels all the way to the right or left, then you're stalling the servo and you need to reduce the endpt. You'll know when the endpt is set correctly when you don't hear the "chattering" when steering it all the way to the left and right.

Last edited by a moderator:

kun114

Sucks!! Three sets of fried servos. I'm not sure if a standard hump pack could cause the problem or not. I did switch over to the same pack you listed above just because I prefered to have a Ni-Cd pack for charging purposes.

noyb98098

emu67 said:
Glad to hear you got your Nomadio. I would check the steering assembly. On mine, I noticed that the bushings on the steering assembly were a bit too small and so there was a lot of force required to turn the wheels. Maybe that is what is stalling your servo and causing it to smoke.
Did you check the voltage reading on the Nomadio for your receiver battery? Does it go way down when you turn the wheels...like from 6.8 volts to 6.3 volts? If that's the case, then the steering servo is under a heavy load and might confirm your steering assembly needs to get loosened up a bit.

I fixed my by taking out the bushing and running an appropriately sized drill bit through it by hand. That freed it up nice.

Oh, what about your servo end points? If you haven't set those correctly, you're stalling the servo at the ends and it's goining to draw a lot of current that way. If you hear a "chattering" when you take the wheels all the way to the right or left, then you're stalling the servo and you need to reduce the endpt. You'll know when the endpt is set correctly when you don't hear the "chattering" when steering it all the way to the left and right.
Think your right- I heard a lot of chattering through the all three sets.. DOUH! 6.8-6.3?? Havent even gotten to charge that high yet! :) Only charges up to 5.8 right now, but I hear thats common until you charge it for a few times. So my spread is 5.8-5.4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sprint 77

Contributor
Voltage and amp current draw is everything on todays high torque servo. AMS direct servo connect wiring and a good high amp switch will help some to keep the majic smoke inside the servo where it belongs.

emu67

I'm surprised you're not even getting 6.0 volts on your reciever battery. Seems like you're looking at your transmitter voltages?

You might want to liimit the servo through before you put your good servo on there...

noyb98098

Got two new servos in, Another HPI BAJA steering servo and the Futaba for back up or possibly dual steering servo setup like someone else:D.. I'll be sure to follow all suggetions from above. Thanks guys-

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts