• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

servo power

blak__jak

I've had different r/c's for more years than I care to remember but I have never directly powered the servos. I've read this can be done but electronics not being one of my strong points I have no idea how to go about it. anyone care to share how it's done. pics would be great. thanks

Motakitty

Theres three wires coming from the servo to receiver + - and signal (orange on hitecs) you leave the signal wire alone but make the +,- go from the battery to the servo so all thats left going to the receiver is the signal. Typically the battery powers the reciever then powers the servos. But with the gas trucks theres no esc so no bec so whatever voltage you give the receiver the servos get too. As long as your electronics can handle the voltage you want you don't really have to go through the trouble of powering the servos directly. On an electric car if you want to power the servos directly then an external bec is what you'd want to look into since the esc has an internal bec that powers everything.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

G

Here ya go. This is how I do mine.

G

That is a micro splitter, sold by KillerRC. Is is like several Y splitters in one tiny package.

Motakitty

Wouldn't the receiver act as a splitter since the battery is plugged directly to it

G

The whole idea of that direct wire setup is to keep the amp load out of the receiver. It's a safeguard to protect the receiver.

Big Pitt

It seems that with your micro splinter you separete +/- and signal just for the throttle... Everything else seems to go directly to the splinter...

So where's the difference with a connection to the RX?

G

Hits the splitter first. The signal wire gets separated from the servo plug and that goes to the receiver.

Some people will run the smaller throttle servo through the receiver. On my 5ive I directed wired all servos and just had the servo signal wire go into the receiver. Just keep in mind that at least one power source needs to power the receiver.

Motakitty

Sorry I don't want to come across as annoying but rcdad with that splitter I see the battery power still goess to the receiver. Oh never mind I just thought by removing the servos from the receiver it takes the amp draw away from it. I was thinking you just wanted to take the amp draw from the battery away but it takes the load from the servos off the rx. Opps :banghead:

G

Your getting it.

The receiver still needs power to operate. The idea is to just keep the servo usage going from the battery straight to the servos.

vpalace

This all pertains to an electric vehicle correct? You don't have to with about this in a gasser right?

G

This is for the gassers.

In the electrics you can use a BEC for your servos.

vpalace

Could this be why my steering servo caught on fire or could it have been because the endpoints and dual rates weren't properly set. I checked and they were straining at full turn. I'm sure they heated up quite a bit doing that.

G

vpalace said:
Could this be why my steering servo caught on fire or could it have been because the endpoints and dual rates weren't properly set. I checked and they were straining at full turn. I'm sure they heated up quite a bit doing that.
Yes. If the servo is still pushing after the travel stops they heat up and burn out real quick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts