• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

screes for 1" velocity stack

kbreaux100

Need help finding the right size screws for the 1" velocity stack from DDM. I went to put it on, but the m5x55 screws are not long enough. Does anyone know what size screws I need so I don't screw up my cylinder?

kbreaux100

I posted a new thread because it seams no one has this problem but me, and I just cant believe this. I don't think anyone believes me, and I can understand. heres a pic, the remaining threads are about 8-9mm, and the distance to the threads on the engine is 18mm.

20130413_195638.jpg

20130413_195638.jpg

/monthly_2013_04/20130413_195638.jpg.365506f885175ff1ee4a11054cd5ab55.jpg

Sergio

That should be enough to grab the intake manifold and Only use loctite if you upgraded and have the aluminum manifold if you still have the one that comes stock i wouldnt use any.

krashkrieg

Contributor
Sergio said:
That should be enough to grab the intake manifold and Only use loctite if you upgraded and have the aluminum manifold if you still have the one that comes stock i wouldnt use any.
Indeed...I've had aluminum manifold so long, I forgot...

rcgasser

That looks like enough to go into the manifold I am not sure what length you feel that you need all of mine have stacks either 1 in. or 1/2 and I have always just used the stock hardware from the carb already installed.

G

kbreaux100 said:
I posted a new thread because it seams no one has this problem but me, and I just cant believe this. I don't think anyone believes me, and I can understand. heres a pic, the remaining threads are about 8-9mm, and the distance to the threads on the engine is 18mm.
Just a reminder....

Those screws grab the manifold (insulator block). The manifold should already be bolted to the head.

They are not suppose to go all the way through to the head.

rcgasser

RCDAD said:
Just a reminder....Those screws grab the manifold (insulator block). The manifold should already be bolted to the head.

They are not suppose to go all the way through to the head.
LOL that what I was trying to say also great way to put it.

kbreaux100

well i gues my manifold is stripped because my screws go all the way through to the shiny aluminum and then thread.and yes, my manifold is screwed in by other screws. Heres a pic, no threads.

20130415_025534.jpg

20130415_025534.jpg

/monthly_2013_04/20130415_025534.jpg.f8f74c86a20f672899bc77117489d173.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rcgasser

Nobody was calling you stupid or dense was just trying to give out better information hoping it would be a little clear!!!!!!!

kbreaux100

I know and I appreciate it. I'm just a little frustrated. I'm sorry if I sounded like an asshole. I know you guys are just trying to help. I really appreciate it, but my threads don't reach!! and these parts are beating me so much, i sometimes gotta convince myself im not stupid. ha ha ha

Chief409

The screws through the velocity stack and carb go thru the manifold to the head. If you see gasket behind the manifold, you don't have a manifold gasket between the head and the manifold. Three different gaskets, listed from the engine out, manifold, carb and velocity stack.

The screws for the velocity stack secure everything EXCEPT the manifold to the head. Do you have the screws included with your stack. If you do they are the correct length. The screws for the stock air cleaner are way too short. Spec torque is 65 in/lbs, no Loctite. The heat would melt it out in any case. I have a temp sensor just above the exhaust port, when it's leaned out the temp there runs around 283 F. Looking at the plug, I could lean some more, but I keep it a bit rich for everyday running.

vpalace

I think that was his whole issue, that the velocity stack didn't come with hardware. I have that stack and my stock bolts work fine. It holds it firmly. It is not working in this case.

Dreggsta

Chief409 said:
The screws for the velocity stack secure everything EXCEPT the manifold to the head. Do you have the screws included with your stack. If you do they are the correct length. The screws for the stock air cleaner are way too short. Spec torque is 65 in/lbs, no Loctite. The heat would melt it out in any case. I have a temp sensor just above the exhaust port, when it's leaned out the temp there runs around 283 F. Looking at the plug, I could lean some more, but I keep it a bit rich for everyday running.
I have a 1" v stack. It came w/no screws. I also just replaced stock carb w/990. W/stock carb or 990, the oem screws reach & work for me. Even have the washer & lock washer as they come stock.

+1 for running a tick rich.

Kbreaux, both my v stacks work w/o-ring, washers & all. The head of the screws stops at mid depth of the v stack.

kbreaux100

yeh i guess ive got a stack that was machined different at the holes. i ordered the m5x60 screws which are 5mm longer and i put it on today. i had about 4mm of thread,and it was perfect as it didnt punch through my intake gasket at the back. definitely a strange situation though. ive also found threads on the baja forums of people that had to mill out the holes on the stack for their stock harddware to reach,but i don't like taking drills to my new parts! oh well, glad i figured it out finally and its definitely something for others to watch out for

G

You could just get a set of longer screws. ;)

kbreaux100

yeh thats what i did. i was just cautious because if you look through the holes that the carb screws go though,you can see the gasket that goes between the intake and the motor.ive heard if you punch screws through that gasket,youll get all sorts of mixture problems.i found that the m5x60 screws,which are 5mm longer than stock,worked perfect and didnt punch though the gasket

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts