• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

RAMTech-RC Steel gears now in stock

fourwheeler

Well with these it will be time to install that 30.5 head kit:D

MOfroggy

RampageHopUps said:
Because a steel A gear will destroy a plastic B gear in no time. I will probably do a 27/33 gear combo out of steel next.
Makes sense to me!

Question 1......would a plastic A gear be eaten up by a steel B gear?

Question 2......with all steel gears, what will become the weak link then?

RampageHopUps

Yes, plastic versus steel will always wear the plastic.

I don't know what the next week link will be. We'll find out in the next few days if there is any.

bibko2

RampageHopUps said:
Yes, plastic versus steel will always wear the plastic.
I don't know what the next week link will be. We'll find out in the next few days if there is any.
What are all the FG guys using?

Why do the Rampage gears not last when this similar type of drivetrain has been used for a long time now with other manufacturers?

RampageHopUps

FG uses a different driveline. The MCD uses the same type. If I were to guess, it would be the center locked gears do not unload like the center diff that MCD uses. I haven't stripped any gears on my buggy yet, but I've seen a fwe of my customers.

Some of it is the heat generated by the enclosed plastic gear housing. Phatdad drilled abunch of holes in his and that seemed to help. Pics in a minute.

NitroBurn

I put a thin bead of silicone around my gear cover before I put it on and my gears look like new except for normal wear. If I put the steel gears on they might last forever.

MOfroggy

NitroBurn said:
I put a thin bead of silicone around my gear cover before I put it on and my gears look like new except for normal wear. If I put the steel gears on they might last forever.
You are right about the silicone helping but if you put the brakes on too hard with too much momentum something is going to give! Better an easily accessible gear than something else.

RampageHopUps

Most of us are going to upgrade until we feel an acceptable medium is reached. Some people will keep it stock, others will have a $5,000 Rampage in no time.

NitroBurn

The silicone doesn't glue it tight, it actually peels right off and if it stays in one piece you can actually just bolt the cover right back on and your gasket is still good. Your idea with the grease just might work with the silicone gasket on there. Also you can just smear a little grease around the lip to make any grit that tries to come through just stick and form it's own plug. Just keep a paper towel handy when you remove it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts