• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage TT, MT or Dune Runner?

broeli

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking to buy at Redcat soon. I know the dimensional differences and such between the Rampage MT/TT and Dune Runner but I have questions after doing a bunch of searching.

Is there a difference in reliabilty between the Rampage MT/TT compared to the Dune Runner?

Are they geared different? If so, how are they different?

What is the Rampage TT better at compared to the Dune Runner and vice versa? They just seem similar but the Dune Runner is wider, bigger wheelbase, and longer.

Is the Dune Runner heavier than the Rampage TT?

Why would you buy a V3 Rampage MT or TT over a V3 Dune Runner?

I'm torn. The Dune Runner is cheaper than the Rampage MT/TT platform. Is there a reason?

I was originally going to get the MT, but now I'm leaning toward a TT or Dune Runner...not sure why. Maybe its the looks.

It will be used for all different types of terrain (jumps, trails, woods, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:

hamster huey

Correct me if Im wrong but the dunerunners v3 have one steering servo?

broeli

This might seem like a dumb question but what is the disadvantage of having just the one steering servo versus 2?

I'd like to hear more opinions on why someone would pick a TT over a Dune Runner.

I can understand why some would pick an MT for the simple fact it can go over more terrain with it's higher ride height and tires.

6victor6

Contributor
broeli said:
This might seem like a dumb question but what is the disadvantage of having just the one steering servo versus 2?
I'd like to hear more opinions on why someone would pick a TT over a Dune Runner.

I can understand why some would pick an MT for the simple fact it can go over more terrain with it's higher ride height and tires.
I prefer the mid-engine layout of the TT.. It's very well balanced. I think the mid engine layout is better suited for a 4x4.. The TT handles very well.. Very predictable.. As far as one vs two servos, it's pretty much just about power.. I don't think it's as big an issue in a TT like it is for the MT.. My servo does pretty good... And I might upgrade to a more powerful servo but I personally don't feel the need for two.

broeli

6victor6 said:
I prefer the mid-engine layout of the TT.. It's very well balanced. I think the mid engine layout is better suited for a 4x4.. The TT handles very well.. Very predictable.. As far as one vs two servos, it's pretty much just about power.. I don't think it's as big an issue in a TT like it is for the MT.. My servo does pretty good... And I might upgrade to a more powerful servo but I personally don't feel the need for two.
Thanks. Makes sense. I'm guessing the TT makes better use of the 4x4 platform moreso than the Dune Runner due to more weight closer to the front wheels? The Dune Runner is kind of a RWD design it seems like the HPI Baja.

I can get the Dune Runner for 550 and the TT for 560. I guess the TT would be worth the extra $10 for another steering servo and maybe a better 4x4 platform. The following for the TT seems far greater than that of the Dune Runner too. I can't find much info on the Dune Runner compared to the TT and MT.

bbuzzard

Contributor
I have to chime in about the balance on the Dune Runner...it is very neutral and due to the longer wheel base, more stable. It is really rare that I can flip this beast unless I hit a big mound. You steer and it will track way better than a HPI Baja. The stock wheels/tires and HPI wheels/tires, if you modify them, are a lot lighter than MT tires, hence less need to have two steering servos. BTW, I have seen a HSP-platform buggy that is almost identical to the Dune Runner but it has a body that has been modified to accept the two-servo setup up front.

broeli

The Dune Runner platform with the rear mounted engine seems to be the most common design by all the companies. Are there any other companies that use a more mid-engine design like the TT/MT?

---Edit---After more researching it looks like the TT/MT is basically the same style of platform as an MCD. The MCD Race Runner and the Redcat TT are either the same or very very similar in all dimensions, gas tank in rear (engine further forward), dual steering servos, etc.

Am I correct in assuming the Dune Runner would be a little better at handling and jumping...while the TT would be better at making full use of all four wheels making it better at going over things? Or is the balance and weight distribution minimal between them?

I would think there has to be noticable differences between the TT and Dune Runner. Otherwise why wouldn't Redcat just offer one or the other instead of both of them? Given the responses I'm beginning to wonder though if they are just very negligable in their differences and it all comes down to which one everyone likes the look of. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

broeli

bbuzzard said:
I have to chime in about the balance on the Dune Runner...it is very neutral and due to the longer wheel base, more stable. It is really rare that I can flip this beast unless I hit a big mound.
I'm assuming you are saying it's more stable than the TT...or were you referring to the HPI?

I could see it being more stable than the TT when it comes to handling because of its wider track and longer wheelbase.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts