• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage MT v3 or CEN GST 7.7 for beginner?

fyrfytr

Hello all,

This is my first post. Just wondering what some thoughts are comparing the Rampage MT v3 and GST 7.7 for starting out. I am 33 years old with two young boys, I used to do some RC stuff way back and am wanting to get a gas/nitro monster truck for me and the boys. I have narrowed it down to these two. I don't plan on racing, just bashing and cruising the wide variety of terrain here on our South Dakota ranch. I want BIG, strong, and something that will last a long time. I realize the rampage is substantially bigger, and am leaning this way. The GST is a couple hundred $ cheaper and has reverse. I've not found a whole lot of recent reviews for either, any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Obeast44

Banned
Many of us come from Nitro and will never go back. Gassers are just easier to setup and tune. Im obviously biased, but I say go for the Rampage MT V3 :D

Get a KillerRC killswitch to go along with the included 2.4 Radio and youll be set to go.

chadj1980

I have both the gst 7.7 and the nemesis (same truck just race version no reverse 2spd.) They are not good beginner nitros in my opinion.. Use a ton of fuel, brake a-arms like they are going out of syle..I have had alot of little things break on these... Lot of better options than this... The rampage is a great truck with a few mods....I'm not sure if the issues have been resolved in the v3 or not but all are fairly easy and cheap to fix...I would buy something like a savage or a lst if going nitro... As far as the rampage you wont find anything as capable and reliable for the price..This is just my opinion..

fyrfytr

Thanks for the input, I have also been considering the HPI Savage 4.6 due to good reviews on durability and cheaper price. But I keep coming back to the Rampage due to size and the new price gets it closer to the others. Whatever I get will probably be what I stick with for quite some time.

fyrfytr

If I understand correctly, the Rampage runs on mixed gas vs. nitro with most other smaller trucks in this price range?

Rampage HopUPs - are you the best place to purchase this truck? I don't believe my local hobby store carries anything besided Traxxas, which I'm not real interested in compared to the others mentioned.

Again, just looking for input on the best truck for blasting around on the very diverse terrain on my ranch, not hardcore bashing or racing (well maybe a little racing with a few friends in the future after they get "the bug")! Can't go to crazy on the price though, need to put most of my expendable $$ into our new airplane at the moment - Vans RV9 (200mph.)!

chadj1980

its not blahhhhhhhhhhh it aahhhhhhhhhhh this piece of sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh.. I forgot to mention nitro's $40 gallon gas is $3.. nitro last 20mins tank, gas 45-60mins. nitro rebuild after 3-4 gallons.. gas lots of gallons.. no glo plugs.. not tunning every time you run it...GET THE RAMPAGE

fastlane

Team Driver
chadj1980 said:
its not blahhhhhhhhhhh it aahhhhhhhhhhh this piece of sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh.. I forgot to mention nitro's $40 gallon gas is $3.. nitro last 20mins tank, gas 45-60mins. nitro rebuild after 3-4 gallons.. gas lots of gallons.. no glo plugs.. not tunning every time you run it...GET THE RAMPAGE
A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

hamster huey

Those Cen parts can be hard to find. Sounds like where you want to run you should look at 1/8 or 1/5. In my experience to build a nice one of any of these to your individual liking youre looking at $1,000 with everything you need. You can get in the door for around $500-750 though as you just start out. They all work best geared around 40-45 mph in my experience.

1/8 Electric: very little maintenece, overheats sometimes, best for beginners, can jump high and far, very quiet, easiest to transport, easy to work on, chassis stays very clean, small parts, large bumps slow it down or stop it, fastest, good resale value, fun driving experience.

1/8 Nitro: high maintenance, constantly needs tuning, worst for beginners, can jump high and far, loud, lots of gear to transport, picky starting, small parts, easy but a little more challenging than elec to work on, chassis gets dirty quick, large bumps slow it down or stop it, just a tick slower than electric, slightly bad resale value, exciting driving experience.

Gas: low maintenance, doesn't overheat, doesn't need constant tuning, easy for beginnners, can do limited jumping, very very loud, not a lot of gear but awkward to transport, easy starting, large parts, chassis stays pretty clean, best for open spaces, best for large bumps in terrain almost unstoppable, ok to good resale value, amazing driving experience is like no other.

Im sure there more.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts