1. If you're having login issues, please try resetting your password.
    Dismiss Notice

Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Redcat Rampage RC community for Redcat RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Redcat brand!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rampage MT 2 speed transmission

Discussion in 'Chassis & Drivetrain' started by Anthony Laforte, Feb 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Anthony Laforte

Anthony Laforte New Member

Recently purchased a rampage mt, recently found out about the bolts that back out. No problem removed everything and learned the truck better.. bought a 2 speed transmission from rc new... WORST MISTAKE EVER. direct fit they said, needs shims they said, SHIFTS they said.... neither... DO NOT TRUST THEM.

#1 Anthony Laforte, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. WoodiE

WoodiE Kind of good admin
    Staff Member

3. Anthony Laforte

Won't shift, says to be direct fit but is nothing of the sort.. Sparks from clutch side.. just everything about it

4. goliath_mt

goliath_mt Junior Member

I bought that same 2 speed trany and no it is not a direct fit, and no i didnt shift. I figured it out tho and now is working great everytime. They have the right idea on fabing it they just cut corners on simple little things

5. Jonny5

Jonny5 Junior Member

@Anthony Laforte If you decide to get rid of it. Let me know. Like if they refund you and they don't want to send it back. I want to get one but don't really have the +200 for one. But I'm pretty good at making and modifying things. Making one from scratch is just to much work. Lol

6. Anthony Laforte

How do i do it.. please help @Jonny5

7. Jonny5

Jonny5 Junior Member

You asking how to make it work? Not sure with out looking at it. Almost all Chinese stuff have very high tolerances and low quality control. Not that it's always a bad thing. It plays into the price. Only thing I can say look closely and see what seems to not be right. Mostly look for alignment or binding. Their may be more than one problem. Don't try to fix all issues at once. Focus at one failure at a time. Example. Don't worry about why it don't shift till you fix clutch alignment issue.

8. biggo

biggo New Member

@goliath_mt I have a dunerunner and have been looking for a 2 speed tranny. Would you recommend the one from RCNEW, and do you have any installation suggestions/tips when installing?

9. Mechanic

Mechanic New Member

I found it was impossible to get any kind of straight answer on gear ratios. Ask a direct question and he avoids the answer. I had to back away from buying it not knowing what I was getting and I thought that was a shame but if it doesn't even bolt in properly I feel a bit better.

10. phuongc727

phuongc727 New Member

Whoever think about getting a 2 speed transmission from rc new. Don't get it they are junk. Waste to much money on replacement part just that don't last. And the replacement part are not cheap. Stay away from it . The belt drive is better

11. Jonny5

Jonny5 Junior Member

I heard in the past that the 2 speed was made by demon rc. The one that new rc sells was their prototype. They made a much better one but think he closed his doors. Was 2 people who designed it and they split up. One guy ran with plans and sold to new rc. Other guy built second one that held up well. much bigger clutch paw and engagement system. Larger one way bearing. Don't know if he ever started to sell then again.

12. phuongc727

phuongc727 New Member

Yeah the rc new clutch paw is to small. Had to replace the paw 3 time and they are not cheap. If u ever find out if the other guy making any 2 speed. Please let me know. Thank for the info

13. Ildy666

Ildy666 Senior Member

I have the Demon RC 2 speed and I bought different gear ratios it held up we'll so far .I was one of the 1st to get this trans when it came out. Sad to hear it's no longer.I would assume all the copies would be sub par.

• Welcome to Redcat Rampage Forum

Redcat Rampage Forum is a Redcat Rampage RC fan site that was started to give Redcat RampageRC enthusiasts a place to come together and discuss and share their experiences with the entire Redcat RC product line.

We welcome all Redcat Rampage RC enthusiasts, both new and old, racers and bashers that share a common goal - a willingness to help and learn.
  • Disclaimer