• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage 32cc compression

turkeywrench

Hello everyone. My wife bought me a rampage mt 32cc for Christmas:). Problem is, I cannot get it started. I've checked & double checked everything multiple times but I've gotten no head way. It has spark & fuel. My question is, what the compression should be. I'm getting 55psi w/ my compression guage with the throttle open & roughly 75psi w/ a small amount of 2 stroke oil. To me, that's extremely too low. My opinion is it would need a minimum of 115psi+ to at least start. I've contacted redcat directly via email but that want me to send them the whole car to check it out w/ shipping at my expense! That's terrible customer service because it would have to be a manufacturer defect. I've already ordered a replacement ring & piston to see if it helps. If anyone can check the compression on their engine, let me know your results so I have something to compare mine too. I've searched online but found no compression specs.

Ice_2k

Can't help you with compression, but another thing to check for is the idle screw, are you sure it's high enough? Also, did you check the LSN and HSN screws?

P.S. Check this, maybe it helps:

turkeywrench

Definitely adjusted both mixture screws as well as the idle adjustment. They were set correct to begin with. Fresh 93 octane non ethanol fuel 20:1. Tried a new NGK as well. Checked the carb bolts for tightness as well as the exhaust & cooling head bolts. The fuel lines are attached correct. The lower fuel hose is attached to the in tank filter. Tried to start with the fuel cap removed. Cleaned plug as well as removed fuel from engine after every attempt. Even tried adding fuel directly in the plug hole. Not even an attempt to start. With or without choke. Leaves nothing but low compression.

RampageHopUps

Switch back to 87 octane, any more wont matter.

Lean out your low speed 1/16 of a turn until it pops with the choke on. You should be closer to 1 turn out.

Redcat can't return every new car that won't start, it's usually just a tuning issue for where you live.

Did you look at the OBR tuning videos?

turkeywrench

It's no more complicated than starting a weed eater or chainsaw. No matter how the low & high speed needles are adjusted, if it has spark & compression it will start with spray or gas in the cylinder. I'll call Redcat Monday & speak with someone directly. It's 100% not a tuning issue.

Phill

turkeywrench said:
It's no more complicated than starting a weed eater or chainsaw. No matter how the low & high speed needles are adjusted, if it has spark & compression it will start with spray or gas in the cylinder. I'll call Redcat Monday & speak with someone directly. It's 100% not a tuning issue.
Try starter fluid then tune when you have it running.

Just spray through the air filter

GCraig

turkeywrench said:
Definitely adjusted both mixture screws as well as the idle adjustment. They were set correct to begin with. Fresh 93 octane non ethanol fuel 20:1. Tried a new NGK as well. Checked the carb bolts for tightness as well as the exhaust & cooling head bolts. The fuel lines are attached correct. The lower fuel hose is attached to the in tank filter. Tried to start with the fuel cap removed. Cleaned plug as well as removed fuel from engine after every attempt. Even tried adding fuel directly in the plug hole. Not even an attempt to start. With or without choke. Leaves nothing but low compression.
You want to mix you fuel 25:1 ratio so it has enough oil in it to lube the engine..

GCraig

turkeywrench said:
Check the high & low needle settings. They should be high= 1 1/2 turns from closed. Low= 1 1/4 turns from closed. Idle= 1 1/2 from bottom.

GCraig

turkeywrench said:
Hello everyone. My wife bought me a rampage mt 32cc for Christmas:). Problem is, I cannot get it started. I've checked & double checked everything multiple times but I've gotten no head way. It has spark & fuel. My question is, what the compression should be. I'm getting 55psi w/ my compression guage with the throttle open & roughly 75psi w/ a small amount of 2 stroke oil. To me, that's extremely too low. My opinion is it would need a minimum of 115psi+ to at least start. I've contacted redcat directly via email but that want me to send them the whole car to check it out w/ shipping at my expense! That's terrible customer service because it would have to be a manufacturer defect. I've already ordered a replacement ring & piston to see if it helps. If anyone can check the compression on their engine, let me know your results so I have something to compare mine too. I've searched online but found no compression specs.
Where are you located turkeywrench?

Ice_2k

GCraig said:
You want to mix you fuel 25:1 ratio so it has enough oil in it to lube the engine..
20:1 as he said has more oil than 25:1 and is the correct ratio for breakin.

Phill

Ice_2k said:
Manual says 25:1

Run it a bit rich if you're worried

Ice_2k

Manual also says to keep it under 5000rpm for 8 hours, with a clutch that engages at 6000rpm :D

Phill

Ice_2k said:
Manual also says to keep it under 5000rpm for 8 hours, with a clutch that engages at 6000rpm :D
That's probably why I don't read instructions unless absolutely necessary

Mine was probably under 5K for 8 seconds

GCraig

Ice_2k said:
Ice_2k I've been working with 2 cycle engines for a couple of years now. I know what I'm talking about.

Ice_2k

Not sure what you're saying, but if you're saying that 25:1 has more oil in it than 20:1 (that's what I understand from what you said), you're wrong.

Phill

Ice_2k said:
Not sure what you're saying, but if you're saying that 25:1 has more oil in it than 20:1 (that's what I understand from what you said), you're wrong.
I assume he means 20:1 has more oil in it.

It will foul plugs big time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts