• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Ramp MT ?

laganm21

Ok i have ran my truck about 2 gallons and now i am starting to have a engine problem. On start up the engine will rev pretty high,, i have to jocky the gas a little than it idles right, but then after it warms up ill take it around the yard for a couple of min and come to a stop than the engine revs up again and slowly idles down till it shuts down. The truck will run fine as long as im in the gas just when i stop, the idle is set correcty and all my carb setting are right, to me it seems like something to do with the fule tank pressure, PS i never installed the gas tank rubber groment that came in the upgrade kit with i first got the truck. Any help would be nice

Gas Jocky

Check your linkage, sometimes it starts to bind slightly where it attaches to the servo arm not allowing it to return fully to idle. A drop of lube and few flicks of the throttle might fix your trouble.

laganm21

every things is good there, the motor at idle will rev up than come down like it running out of gas, then when i tap the gas it runs fine like till i take it around the yard and come to a stop than it will rev and allmost die till i tap the gas again, like it has to build pressuer in the tank

Sprint 77

Contributor
Pressure in the Tank is Bad. Get a vent on that cap. drill and tap a muffler hose barb for a nitro muffler and put you a tube to top of cage and hang a fuel filter (old nitro one will work) off the end so don't suck dirt.

Clubin got some good pics of his search his threads. I am not near my ruck right now to shoot you a pic.

Piranha2

Contributor
Check for moisture around your cylinder head. When my head gasket went it would rev alot and only run with the choke. Also I had to change my low speed needle alot recently because we've been going from 48F to 88F in temps.

kryptonite

that sounds like an air leak. could be the head gaskit or some manifold bolts got loose.. also check the lower case. behind the fly wheel and clutch cover there are large bearing seals. they could also go bad.. it really sounds like an air leak tho..

hamster huey

I have had the same problem twice. The first time, slightly blown head gasket, it would idle high and richening h+l would raise rpm while the idle screw was backed completly out it was still too high. The second time, worn throttle shaft, errattic idle with unresponsive adjustment. You can put tension on the throttle shaft to keep it from slopping/jiggling by adjusting trim to get you by until you get a new one if thats it. My throttle shaft got loose from wear and had slop with a little wetness around it.

Piranha2

Contributor
Piranha2 said:
Check for moisture around your cylinder head. When my head gasket went it would rev alot and only run with the choke. Also I had to change my low speed needle alot recently because we've been going from 48F to 88F in temps.
AAAGGGHHHHH.........just when you guys mention shyt, I swear "she" can hear you.....I went out today, a couple high speed runs up and down the street to warm her up and.......HIGH idle.......you're kiddin' me.....another head gasket!!!!!!!......and HH, my throttle shaft is loose with moisture around it....THANKS!!! :D

laganm21

Where do i buy a new carb throttle shaft at, i can't seem to fine one, but yaw where right i have air leaking in through the shaft , thanks for help

laganm21

I am confussed is it the shaft that get loose,i thought it was the little bushings it rides on that get worn and leak not the metal shaf, unless the new shaft come with new seals

Piranha2

Contributor
mooman007uk said:
the shaft on my 813 has worn too, last run out erratic idle..head gasket good, shaft sloppy
Oneills sells them for the 813 and DDM sells them for 668 etc

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4121/.f

Pirahna don't forget to retorque the head bolts after about 15mins of running...especially if you use the .020" blue gasket
MOO, I don't have a torque wrench, you know that, I tighten till the wrench bends :D but yes, I will "retighten" them........and I took someone's advice and drilled the fan shroud so now I can retighten w/o taking the whole thing apart, Thanks "whoever" :rolleyes:

hamster huey

Your welcome piranha. Piranha you might find the baja 5bss manual interesting as it has all of the torque specs for every bolt of the 26cc engine. Lagaman a little wetness is normal around the throttle shaft. Be sure thats really the problem or else your just doing a premature rebuild- no harm but youll find out later if that really was the problem.

Piranha2

Contributor
Thanks hamster huey !!!

Headbolt Access Holes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This mod makes it easy to access headbolts. You need a dremel or large drill bit. I have done 3 headgaskets so far, one was part of a headkit. I learned to retighten/check the headgasket bolts during/after the first tanks or two so the gasket can compress fully. I did it on my Ramp and Baja.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by a moderator:

laganm21

Ok i have replaced the carb shaft and taped the gas for a vent and still the same issue, but now it will start fine and idle right for about 2min than it start reving up to the point the clutch start to engaue, then i take it for a spin in the yard runs good for a min or so than starts to bog and idle high, i really need some help on this i can not figure it out, if yaw need a vid than tell

me so you can hear what im talking about thanks

kryptonite

laganm21 said:
Ok i have replaced the carb shaft and taped the gas for a vent and still the same issue, but now it will start fine and idle right for about 2min than it start reving up to the point the clutch start to engaue, then i take it for a spin in the yard runs good for a min or so than starts to bog and idle high, i really need some help on this i can not figure it out, if yaw need a vid than tell
me so you can hear what im talking about thanks
i havent read the hole thread, just this post. you have an air leak. the air is what couses the high rpm's. it could be anywhere from the case bearings, case, head, carb or manifold. when its cold, it will be fine, but as soon as it gets hot, it expands and allows air in, start it when its cold and take some starter fluid or something flamible like that and spray around the carb, case manifold, head, fuel lines and sparkplug base. your looking for the motor to "spike" when its sprayed(rev).it may be more noticable when the motor is hot and all ready pulling air in. that will locate the air leak. hope that helps.

laganm21

What about the gas cap i taped it like yaw say but do i take any of the stuff inside the cap out or keep it the same

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.