• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Question about tuning engine

GTS 666

Jack Lagachette said:
Anyway .. i order a 990 with a better intake and a DDM black side pipe.. now its me to adapt and learn to tune ! its a part of the hobby i think ! :)
Yeah there's always more to learn with this hobby. That's what keeps it interesting.

Deluge

Trip.. said:
I have well over 20 gallons on the same GP290 and 813, no shaft issues for me... It's unfortunate that a few inexperienced tuners had carb issues, now the 813's reputation is in the shitter... The 813 is by far the best carb I have ever played with. I am a small engine mechanic by trade and I still will vouch on the behalf of the 813. I will fault the tuner 10 times over before I fault the carb.

In the right hands, (In my opinion) the 813 is the PERFECT carb for R/C use. IF YOU ARE NOT A CONFIDENT TUNER, the 813 can be a bit tricky. It's an excellent carb if you know what you are doing and if you don't... well that's why they make the 990. Still a great carb.

In the full scale world people swear by Holley, just as others swear at them. It's all a matter of your abilities, if you can't tune a carb for shit you are going to hate a Holley, just as you are going to hate an 813. That's why the Edelbrock 600cfm is so popular, but you'll never see them on a Top Fuel dragster. Think John Force has a pair of Carters/Edelbrocks on his Top Fuel Funny Car? I think not. Edelbrock revamps old Carters to be used as street carbs for people that don't know how to tune a carb properly. Zenoah does the same thing, but Zen calls them the 668.

The same thing applies to the 813. It has an accelerator pump, something that no other small engine carb has. This little device completely eliminates the low rpm/off idle bog. It can cause tuning issues if you don't know what you are doing or if you run a 1/5th scale like you run a nitro and are constantly snapping the throttle. All of the throttle snapping shoots huge amounts of fuel into the cyl and causes the plug to foul. It's not the fault of the carb, it's the fault of the tuner/operator.

The throttle shaft wear is such a simple fix that it really shouldn't even be mentioned, but yet I still see this constantly, "The 813 has a shaft problem."

Well I guess it does, it needs a small drop of silicone/shoe goo to remedy the problem. 3 cents worth of silicone to have a perfect running carb is a small price to pay. The unfortunate thing is most of the people that have a problem with this carb is because they don't know how to tune a carb properly to begin with or are just regurgitating bullshit that they read on the internet.

There is nothing wrong with the 813.
I agree, a lot of it has to do with the driver and their ability. Just like everything else R/C related. But, I've seen these issues first hand. No regurgitating, here. If you like the 813, that's great and I respect that. I'm sticking with the 990, though. And if that makes me a shitty tuner, so be it. I'll stick to what I know, and what I've had success with.

Trip..

Deluge said:
I agree, a lot of it has to do with the driver and their ability. Just like everything else R/C related. But, I've seen these issues first hand. No regurgitating, here. If you like the 813, that's great and I respect that. I'm sticking with the 990, though. And if that makes me a shitty tuner, so be it. I'll stick to what I know, and what I've had success with.
Nope, That's not what I meant at all. That whole topic was replied to you, but not directed toward you (or anyone for that matter.) I apologize that it came off that way, it was not my intent.

The 813 gets a bad rap from the steep learning curve to tune it whereas the 990 does not.

Deluge

It's cool, dude. I didn't get chapped over it. I understand where you're coming from.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.