• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

prep, pre-run,post-run in the winter!!

GoffeeRedCat

Well winter is coming in Chicago!! I know I need to waterproof the servos and my radio box..I will be doing that soon!! I need some suggestions on how to maintain the XT in the winter time (pre-run, and post-run)

TheKaiman

You can use plasti dip on your servos. Put your receiver in a balloon and zip tie the end. I live in eastern Pennsylvania and it gets brutal here in the winter sometimes. Be careful of your plastics they can break easily in the cold obviously.

R_A_Machine

Man winter is the whole reason I wanted a 4wd 1/5 scale! Good thing you started this topic I will be watching it closely for info!

G

Just wondering...

Do you guys tough it out and drive bare handed, or do you make an attempt of handling the transmitter with gloves on? :)

GoffeeRedCat

TheKaiman said:
You can use plasti dip on your servos. Put your receiver in a balloon and zip tie the end. I live in eastern Pennsylvania and it gets brutal here in the winter sometimes. Be careful of your plastics they can break easily in the cold obviously.
Negative on the balloon trick...my receiver is double sided taped on my box

TheKaiman

GoffeeRedCat said:
Negative on the balloon trick...my receiver is double sided taped on my box
You would have to remove and replace. Small PITA for weatherization. You could also seal the seams of the box with electrical tape prior to snowy/wet sessions.

GoffeeRedCat

TheKaiman said:
You would have to remove and replace. Small PITA for weatherization. You could also seal the seams of the box with electrical tape prior to snowy/wet sessions.
I'll just seal the receiver box...but I'm more concerned about the after run! Since we use tons of salt or grit on the roads here....I wanna know what you use to remove snow/slush/grit/salt

R_A_Machine

I don't plan on going anywhere near salt covered roads. I plan on running in my yard, my neighbors yard, his neighbors yard and so on. Unless one of them run me down with a sled! Haha. And no I do not use gloves, I work outdoors year round and live in Maine! I love winter.

GoffeeRedCat

Not me I hate winter!! Specially in Chicago, people seem to forget how to drive on the snow here. But I don't plan on driving on the road either! But you never know what s contaminating that snow!! Most likely salt!!

BertR

I wish I could run in the yard during the winter! a altitude of 5400 ft. I get to play in the road till the end of March

Trip..

RCDAD said:
Just wondering...Do you guys tough it out and drive bare handed, or do you make an attempt of handling the transmitter with gloves on? :)
I just tough it out, I only wear gloves when I ride my sled (snowmobile)

Camp Dry [ame=[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Heavy-Water-Repellent/dp/B000HJ7CLY"]http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Heavy-Water-Repellent/dp/B000HJ7CLY[/URL]]http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Heavy-Water-Repellent/dp/B000HJ7CLY[/ame] is a silicone spray that will waterproof your electronics. Just spray the shit on and let it sit for 2 hours, then go play in the snow.

GoffeeRedCat

Trip.. said:
I just tough it out, I only wear gloves when I ride my sled (snowmobile)Camp Dry http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Heavy-Water-Repellent/dp/B000HJ7CLY is a silicone spray that will waterproof your electronics. Just spray the shit on and let it sit for 2 hours, then go play in the snow.
ohh wow!! never thought about using that!! I have some in the garage!! I usually use plastidip... that made your servo a little thicker and difficult to put back!! definitely going to use this stuff!!!!! :D

Deluge

Don't forget to richen it up a bit. The cold air is more dense. And don't let your air filter get wet, dirt can get in.

mkl101

Got an MT was running it in the cold the other day. Steering started to die out. Thought my battery was somewhat charged. Assuming it was dead now. Going to try again with fresh battery, but will the cold effect how fast the battery drains or make it die out of it gets to cold. It's around 30° here. Thanks

Ryneito

Had my XB out the other day in 20 degree weather. Fired right up and ran like a raped ape. XB was eating fat!! and loved it...Deff had gloves on. You only do it once without lol..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts