• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Powder Coating Aluminum

Stygian

Banned
About a week ago RCDad posted a link with paint to use on aluminum and for the life of me I cannot remember what thread it was in or find it myself so I was hoping someone would know a good link to buy paint to paint aluminum I believe the link RCDad posted was a ddm link.

Edit:

I found the link, I happened to bookmark it, if anyone else is curious here is the link

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalCast/

and here is where you can buy it, it's very cheap

http://www.duplicolor.com/wheretobuy/

Last edited by a moderator:

Stygian

Banned
I'm deanodizing all the blue parts first

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

G

RampageCrazy26cc said:
so can i paint over the blue or do i need to remove the blue before i paint,cause i love to paint it green
The metal cast needs to be applied to bare metal or chrome to get that look. It is a transparent paint.

Stygian

Banned
RCDAD said:
The metal cast needs to be applied to bare metal or chrome to get that look. It is a transparent paint.
Should it be primeored after the blue has been stripped

Stygian

Banned
Cool thanks I'm still wondering if powder coating would be better than using a spray paint

G

It is a much harder finish. It would not chip off like paint would.

Stygian

Banned
update on the paint I linked, grease lightning has trouble taking it off and easy off doesn't work too well either you have to spray it leave it for a minute or two scrub it off and repeat over and over. I also don't recommend using this stuff it scratches way too easy barely touch it with something and it scratches and because of that I'm going to go with powder coating everything.

G

Those products work for removing anodizing. They won't work on paint very well.

Stygian

Banned
Right but the paint it's an anodize so I guess I was kinda confused we all live and learn and now my parts just look like poo poo lol. And I'm not sure if it's just me or what, but when deanodizing the parts they all end up looking different and not the same some are more of a gray than others some look more chrome some come out with blotches some don't any tips on that?

rampagemt

They turn gray or black from oxidation from leaving in the greased lightening or oven cleaner longer then needed

Stygian

Banned
Right, but for some reason all the blue wasn't coming off so it would have to be left in longer, is there away to get rid of the gray or black from oxidation to get them all the same color?

G

The oxidation can be removed with steel wool. After I strip them I dip them into greased lightning and scrub them with the steel wool. Then rinse with water.

Stygian

Banned
RCDAD said:
The oxidation can be removed with steel wool. After I strip them I dip them into greased lightning and scrub them with the steel wool. Then rinse with water.
Thanks for the tips I will give this a shot

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts