• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Ported Zeonah G320 + Tall gears = Top speed?

almighty15

In theory and sticking to a single speed what could a TT powered by a ported G320 get up to?

I've heard you can swap the first 2 gears around to get silly top end but at the expensive of bottom end torque? Something a G320 should cope with much better then the stock engine?

Would 45mph+ be possible?

What about gear ratio's with the best drive?

phreerider

tire choice is an element to consider, maybe 45mph more like 40,

more be would be deluxe custom and alot of something else.

almighty15

Is the gearing really that bad on them?

A Losi 5ive can jump to 50mph with a 32cc Zenoah and upped gearing so shame that these don't seem to benefit from the power.

Ice_2k

I don't see why you can't gear it to get to 50mph as long as you got enough low end torque and maybe a high rpm clutch to compensate.

talunceford

I think I will try swapping the gears around on mine. I've got a 8k clutch in Insanity and the wheel spin is pretty significant. Maybe losing some of the wheel spin might be good. Worth a shot at least. With that much HP, wheel spin will be an issue, but I can also combat it with tire selection too. I'm not too concerned with top end speed at the moment as it accelerates so quickly. My biggest issue is traction, or HP management that is. Maybe adding some expo into my throttle curve will help a bit too.

phreerider

Ice_2k said:
I don't see why you can't gear it to get to 50mph as long as you got enough low end torque and maybe a high rpm clutch to compensate.
fixed dimensions of shaft spacing limiting size. not without custom plate changing to more distance the radial limits are present.

phreerider

talunceford said:
I think I will try swapping the gears around on mine. I've got a 8k clutch in Insanity and the wheel spin is pretty significant. Maybe losing some of the wheel spin might be good. Worth a shot at least. With that much HP, wheel spin will be an issue, but I can also combat it with tire selection too. I'm not too concerned with top end speed at the moment as it accelerates so quickly. My biggest issue is traction, or HP management that is. Maybe adding some expo into my throttle curve will help a bit too.
the elements of clutch temperature are at play here. the 6k spring allows longer contact, without release the system over heats then distorts , then add dragging on weak power up (earlier within power band of motor) a powerful motor will punish the clutch. with less power the 6k works fine

with say a 10k... more release time gives cooling for clutch. as motor winds through power band clutch engages AND unit moves quick with little or no dragging/slipping shoes to move.

with scale weight and power rate application, off road is difficult management to avoid brutal hard launches...its not "learn to drive" like street car, think "learn to pilot" not street driving but race! piloting "at speed" and there are no stop signs on race course(exception auotcross kinda). put it in motion and keep it in motion.

most of my bash/race sessions are on 95000/10k and the shoes ALWAYS out last spring with 6k its the shoes will fry way before spring fails

Ice_2k

phreerider said:
fixed dimensions of shaft spacing limiting size. not without custom plate changing to more distance the radial limits are present.
I see what you mean. In this case, he could probably go with a belt drive, there's a version available with multiple ratios. Not sure exactly how high they go.

phreerider

to get more speed, and this would be fraction more combined with the tallest gear set or belt drive, is have more mill speed(electric is the obvious path to blistering speeds).

with stroked(+)motors the piston travel being greater reduces crank rate with the benefit of more power per stroke (torque) with 4wd drivetrain its what you want! shorter stroke set ups will rev higher with less torque. so engine spooling has lag time on launch ESP. with tall gearing, but top speed would be higher but slower to get there

so a 230 stock crank is pretty high rev for like 2wd w/ hi speeds.

lots of elements at play for hi speeds(hi speed is not that usable IMHO) ...hi torque and sprint speed are far more the 4wd playground than ultra hi speed running. platform choice kinda locks into range of performance, not absolute but scope, scale and safety are at play here, hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

almighty15

phreerider said:
to get more speed, and this would be fraction more combined with the tallest gear set or belt drive, is have more mill speed(electric is the obvious path to blistering speeds).with stroked(+)motors the piston travel being greater reduces crank rate with the benefit of more power per stroke (torque) with 4wd drivetrain its what you want! shorter short set ups will rev higher with less torque. so engine spooling has lag time on launch ESP. with tall gearing, but top speed would be higher but slower to get there

so a 230 stock crank is pretty high rev for like 2wd w/ hi speeds.

lots of elements at play for hi speeds(hi speed is not that usable IMHO) ...hi torque and sprint speed are far more the 4wd playground than ultra hi speed running. platform choice kinda locks into range of performance, not absolute but scope, scale and safety are at play here, hope this helps
I don't see how any of that aside from the first sentence is relevant to my question.

phreerider

almighty15 said:
I don't see how any of that aside from the first sentence is relevant to my question.
its a description of how mill speed is realized at crank level. G320 favors torque. by choosing a shorter stroke motor like 230/270 with stock rod the motor can turn faster.

so motor choice is a factor for hi speed as well... its just an example

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice_2k

Or you can spend the extra cash and get an OBR Full Mod G320 (or the "G340") with reed case, which have the huge torque and also rev to over 20,000rpm

phreerider

indeed! it will definitely turn some TALL azz gears without complaint, with tall tires it would be in the 50mph range.

phreerider

phreerider said:
its a description of how mill speed is realized at crank level. G320 favors torque. by choosing a shorter stroke motor like 230/270 with stock rod the motor can turn faster. so motor choice is a factor for hi speed as well... its just an example
in this case with 320, its more about the big fat(mass) piston on top than stroke to complete the pic since stroke is the same . and a super modified would lighten the piston as well to give instant wind up

talunceford

phreerider said:
in this case with 320, its more about the big fat(mass) piston on top than stroke to complete the pic since stroke is the same . and a super modified would lighten the piston as well to give instant wind up
The g340rc from OBR is a nasty mill. That is the one I have in Insanity. I haven't really opened it up yet and it is wicked quick. It is a $700 mill, but makes for a hell of a good time. Power to weight is crazy.

phreerider

at full speed it will out of sight in matter of a second or two! find a track man and wear it out!

talunceford

phreerider said:
at full speed it will out of sight in matter of a second or two! find a track man and wear it out!
Yeah its been crazy busy here of late. Craving a driving session. Hopefully this weekend I can get out and rip it up.

designed2survive

talunceford said:
The g340rc from OBR is a nasty mill. That is the one I have in Insanity. I haven't really opened it up yet and it is wicked quick. It is a $700 mill, but makes for a hell of a good time. Power to weight is crazy.
Without the High Performance Billet Transfert, it's now down to $595.

Hence why I pulled the trigger and got one with the Billet transfer for $645.

talunceford

designed2survive said:
Without the High Performance Billet Transfert, it's now down to $595. Hence why I pulled the trigger and got one with the Billet transfer for $645.
Yep that's the motor I bought. You won't be sorry.

designed2survive

talunceford said:
Yep that's the motor I bought. You won't be sorry.
I have or will have a heavier rig though so we'll see when the build is done. Have my hopes up but want to stay realistic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online