• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Please help!!

rampagemt

when I finished running yesterday I noticed I lost a bolt for one of ky exhaust studs as the exhaust was leaking. When I pulled the pipe off and noticed the stud was loose. So I went to grab it and it had already snapped inside. These are those hallow rc exhaust studs that I picked up used from someone on hbf. A 2 dollar part caused nothing but problems and I honestly don't know what to to do. I need to get this out as there's no way a bolt will grab. I am probably going to have to tap it as a thread or 2 looks messed up. What are the options I have? Thanks guys

Ildy666

Its a hollow bolt.so get a small splined extractor and try to remove.is it snapped flush with head?

rampagemt

The best photos I can get of it

papaw

Take a small center punch and do your best to center punch it in the center of the broken stud. Use small dill bit and drill hole about as deep as the stud is long (use a drill press if you can get to one that will help in not breaking bit and drill truer than hand drill) Then use a stud extractor to remove. A little oil may help, if it doesn't want to turn you may need to put a little heat on the head around the stud but not on the stud itself. Take your time it may not be as bad to remove as some people think. Any issues repost and i'll try to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

rampagemt

I will have to pick the tools up. If I need to put heat on it don't go directly in the hole? Heat the head around the bolt holes? I don't have many years of experiance with anything like this other then just rcs. Mostly smallscales and never had issues. Well here they come

G

It's not that tough.

Some easy out kits come with the drill bits.

Dill your hole first.

Heat it up the bolt.

Thread in the easy out. They turn in backwards. Counter clockwise. Once it can't turn in any further it will back the broken bolt out.

Is your pipe solid or does it have a coupling?

papaw

That is correct not on stud but around housing. And there are still more ways to go so one at a time.

Greggfromohio

Try to find an extractor that comes with a left handed drill bit. Sometimes the bolt will come out while your trying to drill a hole in it if your using a left handed bit. The key is going to be keeping your bit dead center of the bolt. I would also put some heat on it but don't get carried away. Maybe use a heat gun.

G

You really only need heat to soften the loctite. I've had one break just like that. It came out very easy with the easy out.

rampagemt

RCDAD said:
It's not that tough.Some easy out kits come with the drill bits.

Dill your hole first.

Heat it up the bolt.

Thread in the easy out. They turn in backwards. Counter clockwise. Once it can't turn in any further it will back the broken bolt out.

Is your pipe solid or does it have a coupling?
It us a side doninator for the mt. But on buggy and and its a one piece. Funny things is I only drove in parking lots so far

rampagemt

Greggfromohio said:
Try to find an extractor that comes with a left handed drill bit. Sometimes the bolt will come out while your trying to drill a hole in it if your using a left handed bit. The key is going to be keeping your bit dead center of the bolt. I would also put some heat on it but don't get carried away. Maybe use a heat gun.
So Lowe's or menards should have something

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts