• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

oneal brothers engines

hardcore

ive been looking into there engines, can someone tell me what is best for application /?? how much more power than stock? reed engines are they more responsive?

Clubin

Banned
I have one of their 27.2's machined and ported, it is good, I haven't had any issues. I also am running one of their race ported 28.5's. I have had good luck with their products. Good customer service, great prices.

As for reed motors, I have never owned one, but I know Moo has one maybe he will chime in. All of my experience is with piston port.

hardcore

cool, how about h.p. out put, im thinking my stock 23cc is about 3 hp, what can i expect from a ported motor,

kryptonite

your stock mill is about 2hp+a pipe. the main thing is what your going to use it for. are you into top end or balls torque. if your unsure, i would go larger displacement becouse you can always gear up for more top end. are you running mt tires? and what pipe are you gona run with it? do you mind splitting the case or are you looking for just a top end headkit? what i did on my first motor build was a basic headkit(28.5 $76) with a pipe that will kick ass. i was able to really respect the ported heads after that. the pipe is really important. with out a good pipe like a side dom you wont get the true power out of it(don't remember what your running). i think something in the middle woulkd be a ported 28.5. easy install, no rpm loss that you get with a crank and enough torque to pull good gears.. a 30.5 is a great mill too, but could possibly be too much torque for the drive train if i recall your driving habbits..lol.. i always want something to stay reliable. the 30.5 loses top end rpm's, but have gobs of ball twisting torque to gear up with.

kryptonite

hardcore said:
cool, how about h.p. out put, im thinking my stock 23cc is about 3 hp, what can i expect from a ported motor,
oh ya.. esp says about 3.5 to 3.75 on most modded motors. but im not sure about o'bros.. its a secret i think..

hardcore

cool, i im looking for torque , i completed a track behind my shop today, its on a side hill, 3 corners, about 260 ft total, sand mixed w/clay, 8000 rpm springs, still a bog out of the corners, i think i could gear down more, took my front dog bones out, no diff. still bog, i guess its time to put that 28.5cc cyl. on , i have been holding off because i want to cut the cyl. down for compression, but i have to do some reserch, i thinking the plating on the cyl, runs out before the top of the head, all stuff i will do im not asking you guys for every detail, thats why i got into this because its something i can learn about, after awsering the same q's at my shop for 18 years, about axles, lockers, motors, in real trucks this is a good change for me, thanks for your help,

hardcore

to add i will say i have been messing w/fuel mix. figure i will take some life out of that cyl. before i remove it, used nitro, eather, 100 octane mix, no diff, conferms there is no compression,

hamster huey

You sound like you want more HP than TQ to me if you want acceleration out of turns. I would say any ported head kit (27 or 28.5) or a 28.5 with the stock crank. ONB can one up and port match Ive heard and also port to your appplication. The 8k spring is a good start. If you don't have a good pipe get one. Then maybe reed kit, lightened flywheel, ported carb, vstack, HPI filter, bowties/excavator/stock TT tires (light tires), fast throttle servo, maybe bump compression w/gasket, 27/33 gears for great accel or 29/31 for good accel/speed. 27/33 will seem slow in wide open spaces but have tons of accel which would be good for a short track which it sounds like you have. Thats off the top of my head. If you alter supsension/diffs you can maintain more corner speed which will keep RPM up in the power band to give you more accel also.

Last edited by a moderator:

hardcore

10-4 i will let you know how it works out, any one vacacioning in maine this summer ? come by the track,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts